Changes in body composition and physical fitness of 7-year-old girls after completing a 12-month artistic gymnastics training program
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of the study was to evaluate changes in body composition and physical fitness in girls aged 7 years before and after a 12-month macrocycle artistic gymnastics training program. Methods. The study involved 32 girls attending the first grade at a sports-focused primary school with a specialization in artistic gymnastics. The study was conducted at the beginning and after an annual training cycle. Measures of body height, body mass, and body composition were performed. Physical fitness was assessed using the Eurofit physical fitness test battery. Results. The results showed average body composition and a high initial level and later dynamic increase in the physical fitness of the participants. Conclusions. The dynamic increase in the results of six Eurofit tests and the overall high level of results in seven of the tests after completing the annual training cycle is evidence of the high effectiveness of the applied training program in improving the physical fitness of the tested girls. The reasons for the lack of significant progress in one of the tests measuring agility (10 × 5 m shuttle run) are unclear, requiring more in-depth analysis of the training process used by trainers with focus on the applied methods, means, and training load volumes. The Eurofit test battery proved to be a precise tool to assess changes in the physical fitness of the tested girls after completing the annual training cycle and is therefore worth recommending at early training stage in gymnastics. The results provide useful information in optimizing the training loads of artistic gymnasts at the initial training stage.
1 - 12 - 2013
14 - 02 - 2014
- Jozef Rusiecki University, Olsztyn, Poland, email@example.com
- Jozef Rusiecki University, Olsztyn, Poland
- Jozef Rusiecki University, Olsztyn, Poland
- M.G. Bublewicz No. 5 Sports Champion School, Olsztyn, Poland
- 1. Sawczyn S., Training loads in artistic gymnastics for many years of preparation system [in Polish]. AWFiS, Gdańsk 2000.
- 2. Sozański H. (ed.), The basis of theory of sports training [in Polish]. Biblioteka trenera, COS, Warszawa 1999.
- 3. Płatonow W.N., Zaporożanow W.A., Theoretical aspects of selection in the modern sport. Selection, monitoring and predicting in sports training [in Russian]. KGIFK, Kijew 1990, 5-16.
- 4. Zaporozanow W.A., Sozański H., Selection and qualification for sport [in Polish]. COS, RCMSKFiS, Warszawa 1997, 114.
- 5. Kochanowicz K., The basics of controlling the process of sports training in artistic gymnastics [in Polish]. AWFiS, Gdańsk 2006, 199.
- 6. Kochanowicz K., Zaporożanow W., Modeling as a basis for individualization of sports training in the artistic gymnastics [in Polish]. AWFiS, Gdańsk 2002, 9-20.
- 7. Sozański H., Zaporożanow W., Control as an optimization factor in sports training [in Polish]. RCMSKFiS, Warszawa 1993.
- 8. Zaporozhanov V.A., Boraczyński T., Empirical reliability of diagnostic and prognostic estimation of physical standards in children, going in for sports. Pedagog psihol medbiolprobl fiz vihov Sportu, 2012, 11, 38-42.
- 9. Tibenska M.J., Kyselovicova O., Medekova H., Anthropometric and functional changes and their relationship after two-year aerobic gymnastics training. Acta FacPharm Univ Comenianae, 2010, LVII, 114-120.
- 10. Potop V., Cimpeanu M., Urichianu S.T., Timnea O., Influence of specific means on the dynamics of athletic shape in women’s artistic gymnastics - a case study [in Romanian]. Palestrica Mileniului III - Civilizaţie şi Sport, 2011, 12 (4), 372‒379.
- 11. Boraczyński T., Zaporozhanov V.A., Evaluation criteria of the individual motor predispositions of female artistic gymnasts [in Russian]. Pedagog psihol med-biol problfiz vihov Sportu, 2010, 10, 97-102.
- 12. Di Cagno A., Baldari C., Battaglia C., Brasili P., Merni F., Piazza M et al., Leaping ability and body composition in rhythmic gymnasics for talent identification. J Sportsmed Phys Fitness, 2008, 48 (3), 341-346.
- 13. Hutchinson M.R., Tremain L., Christiansen J., Beitzel J., Improving leaping ability in elite rhythmic gymnasts.Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1998, 30 (10), 1543-1547.
- 14. Kochanowicz K., Comprehensive control in artistic gymnastics [in Polish]. AWF, Gdańsk 1998.
- 15. Kochanowicz K., The specificity of the comprehensive control at the stage of initial training in artistic gymnastics.In: Sozański H., Perkowski K., Śledziewski D. (eds.), Sports training at the turn of the century. The contemporary Olympic sport and sport for all [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa 2002, 47-51.
- 16. Zaporozhanov V., Boraczynski T., Boraczyńska L.B., Giovanis V., Evaluation of predispositions to artistic gymnastics among girls aged 7-10 based on regression equation of selected physical fitness parameters. In: Urniaż J. (ed.), Contemporary trends in physical education and sport [in Polish]. Olsztyńska Szkoła Wyższa im. Jozefa Rucieckiego, Olsztyn 2009, 175-187.
- 17. Council of Europe. Committee of experts on sport research - EUROFIT. Handbook for the EUROFIT test on physical fitness. Strasbourg 1993.
- 18. Dobosz J., Score tables of body height, body mass and slenderness and BMI ratios of primary school pupils [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa 2012.
- 19. Dobosz J., Score tables of Eurofit, International and Cooper tests for primary school pupils [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa 2012.
- 20. Karkosz K., Artistic gymnastics. Systematics, technology and methodology of selected exercises [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 2006.
- 21. Karniewicz J., Kochanowicz K., Selected aspects of the theoretical and practical basics of artistic gymnastics [in Polish]. AWF, Gdańsk 1990.
- 22. Fjortoft I., Motor fitness in pre-primary school children: The EUROFIT motor fitness test explored on 5-7-year-old children. Pediatric Exercise Science, 2000, 12, 424-436.
- 23. Malina R., Baxter-Jones A., Armstrong N., Beunen G., Caine D., Daly R. et al., Role of Intensive Training in the Growth and Maturation of Artistic Gymnasts. Sports Med, 2013, 43 (9), 783-802, doi: 10.1007/s40279-013-0058-5.[WoS][Crossref]
- 24. Zasada M., Physical and functional preparation of the gymnasts in the long term sports training [in Polish]. UKW, Bydgoszcz 2007.
- 25. Sawczyn S., Physical development and physical fitness of artistic gymnasts aged 10-15 years [in Polish]. PhD thesis, AWF, Poznań 1985.
- 26. Kochanowicz K., Boraczyńska L.B., Boraczyński T., Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of motor coordination abilities in gymnast girls aged 7-9 years. BJHPA, 2009, 1 (21), 57-63, doi: 10.2478/v10131-009-0007-8.[Crossref]
- 27. Beunen G.P., Malina R.M., Thomis M., Physical growth and maturation of female gymnasts. In: Johnston F.E., Zemel B., Eveleth P.B. (eds.), Human growth in context. Smith-Gordon, London 1999, 281-289.
- 28. Caine D., Lewis R., O’Connor P., Howe W., Bass S., Does gymnastics training inhibit growth of females? Clin JSports Med, 2001, 11 (4), 260-270, doi: 10.1097/00012752 -200110000-00009.[Crossref]
- 29. Mahoney C., Boreham C., Validity and reliability of fitness testing in primary school. In: Williams T. (ed.), Fitness testing and primary school children, sport and physical activity moving towards excellence. E & FN Spon., London 1992, 429-437.
- 30. Stupnicki R., Przewęda R., Milde K., The centile charts of physical fitness in Polish youth according to EUROFIT tests [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa 2003.
- 31. Dobosz J., The physical condition of school age girls. AWF, Warszawa 2012.
- 32. Wieczorek A., Adrian J., The level of motor abilities in consideration of health conditions of selected youth groups. Stud Phys Cult Tourism, 2006, 13 (1), 85-92.
- 33. Baquet G., Guinhouya C., Dupont G., Nourry C., Berthoin S., Effects of short-term interval training program on physical fitness in prepubertal children. J StrengthCond Res, 2004, 4, 708-713.
- 34. Szopa J., Mleczko E., Żak S., The anthropomotoric basics [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa-Krakow 1996.
- 35. Malina R.M., Bouchard C., Bar-Or O., Growth, Maturation and Physical Activity. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2004.
- 36. Kioumourtzoglou E., Derri V., Mertzanidou O., Tzetzis G., Experience with perceptual and motor skills in rhythmic gymnastics. Percept Mot Skills, 1997, 84 (3), 1363-1372, doi: 10.2466/pms.1997.84.3c.1363.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 37. Raczek J., The basics of children and youth sports training [in Polish]. RCMSKFiS, Warszawa 1991.
- 38. Grabowski H., Szopa J., EUROFIT, European Physical Fitness Test [in Polish]. AWF, Krakow 1991.
Publication order reference