Physical Fitness Differences between Freestyle and Greco-Roman Junior Wrestlers
Languages of publication
The aim of the present study was to examine physical fitness differences between Freestyle and Greco-Roman junior wrestlers. One hundred twenty-six junior wrestlers, comprising 70 Freestyle and 56 Greco-Roman wrestlers, participated in this study. The somatic and physical fitness profile included body mass, body height, body mass index, body composition, flexibility, maximal anaerobic power of the legs and arms, aerobic endurance, hand grip strength, leg and back strength, and speed. No significant differences were found in the anthropometric and physical features between Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers. The Greco-Roman wrestlers had a significantly higher level of relative leg power, peak arm power, relative peak arm power, and relative average arm power than Freestyle wrestlers (p < 0.05). Greco-Roman wrestlers were significantly faster, had better agility, and had a greater level of leg strength than Freestyle wrestlers, but Freestyle wrestlers were more flexible than Greco-Roman wrestlers (p < 0.05). Discriminant function analysis indicated that peak arm power, agility, speed, and flexibility were selective factors for the differences between Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers. In conclusion, the present study indicates that the differences between these wrestling styles promote physical fitness differences in elite wrestlers. The results reflect specific features of each wrestling style.
1 - 6 - 2014
8 - 7 - 2014
- Physical Education and Sports School, Hitit University, Çorum- TURKEY., email@example.com
- Department of Physical Education and Sport, Education Faculty, the University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale- TURKEY.
- Sports Sciences Faculty, Ankara University, Ankara - TURKEY.
- Department of Sport - General Diretorate of Sport, Ankara - TURKEY.
- Director of Olympic Sports S&C, University of Michigan. USA
- Abellán AM, Pallarés JG, Gullón JML, Otegui XM, Baños VM, Moreno AM. Anaerobic Factors to Predict Wrestling Performance. Cuadernos De Psicología Del Deporte,2010; 10: 17-23
- Baie M, Sertie H, Starosta W. Differences in Physical Fitness Levels Between The Classical and The Free Style Wrestlers. Kinesiology,2007; 2:142-149
- Cipriano NA. Technical-tactical analysis of freestyle wresling. J Strength Cond Res,1993; 7: 133-140[WoS]
- Demirkan E, Kutlu M, Koz M. The Segmental Body Composition Comparison of Freestyle and Greco-Roman Style Wrestlers with Bioelectrical Impedance Method. Selçuk University The Journal of Physical Education and Sports Science,2011; 13 (3): 340-343
- Gullón JML, Xabier M, Dolores M, Torres-Bonete MI, Pallarés JG. Physical fitness differences between Freestyle and Greco-Roman elite wrestlers. Arch Budo,2011; 7(4): OA217-225
- Heyward VH, Stolarczyk LM. Applied body composition assessment.Human Kinetics; 1996
- Hübner-Woźniak E, Kosmol A, Lutoslawska G, Bem EZ. Anaerobic performance of arms and legs in male and female free style wrestlers. J Sci Med Sport,2004; 7(4): 473-80[Crossref]
- Horswill CA. Applied Physiology of Amateur Wrestling. Sport Med, 1992; 14: 114-143[Crossref]
- Inbar O, Bar-Or O, Skinner JS. The Wingate Anaerobic Test.Champaign. Human Kinetics; 1996
- Léger L, Gadoury C. Validity of the 20 m shuttle run test with 1 min stages to predict VO2max in adults. Can J Sport Sci,1989; 14(1): 21-6
- Mirzaei B, Curby DG, Rahmani-Nia F, Moghadasi M. Physiological profile of elite Iranian junior freestyle wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res,2009; 23(8): 2339-2344[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Roemmich JN, Frappier JP. Physiological Determinants of Wrestling Success in High School Athletes. Pediatric Exercise Science,1993; 5: 134-144
- Pallares JG, Lopez JM, Muriel GX, Mikel Izquierdo AD. Physical Fitness Factors to Predict Male Olympic
- Wrestling Performance. Eur J Appl Physiol,2011; 111: 1747-1758[PubMed]
- Pallares JG, López-Gullón JM, Torres-Bonete MD, Izquierdo M. Physical Fitness Factors to Predict Female Olympic Wrestling Performance and Sex Differences. J Strength Cond Res,2012; 26(3): 794-803[WoS]
- Sterkowicz S, Starosta W. Selected factors influencing the level of general fitness in elite Greco Roman wrestlers. JHK,2005; 14: 93-104
- Sterkowicz-Przybycień KL, Sterkowicz S, Zarów RT. Somatotype, Body Composition and Proportionality in Polish Top Greco-Roman Wrestlers. JHK,2011; 28: 141-154
- Vardar SA, Tezel S, Öztürk L, Kaya O. The relationship between body composition and anaerobic performance of elite young wrestlers. J Sports Sci Med,2007; 6(CSSI-2): 34-38[PubMed]
- Yoon J. Physiological Profiles of Elite Senior Wrestlers. Sports Med,2002; 32 (4): 225-233[Crossref][PubMed]
Publication order reference