Hydropower Generation on The Nysa Klodzka River
Hydroenergetyczne Wykorzystanie Rzeki Nysa Kłodzka
Languages of publication
Adopted in 2009, the Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources sets out the rules for how Poland is to achieve the 15% target of total primary energy from renewables by 2020. However, there are fears that the goals set out in this Directive may not be met. The share of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in national energy consumption (150 TWh) is estimated at 8.6 TWh in 2009 and 12 TWh in 2011 (5.7 and 8% respectively). The level of RES in Poland until 2005 was approx. 7.2%. The analysis of RES technologies currently in use in Poland shows that in terms of the share in the total capacity, the 750 hydro-electric power plants which are currently in operation (with the overall capacity of almost 0.95 GW) are second only to wind power stations (2 GW). The authors have studied the Nysa Klodzka River in terms of possible locations for hydro-electric facilities. Eight locations have been identified where power plants might be constructed with installed capacities ranging from 319 to 1717 kW. The expected total annual electric power generation of these locations would stand at approx. 37.5 GWh.
8 - 7 - 2014
-  Hydropower and Dams World Atlas and Industry Guide. Aqua-Media International. Sutton; 2004.
-  ASCE, Committee on Hydropower Intakes. Guidelines for the Design of Intakes for Hydroelectric plants; 1995.
-  The International Journal on Hydropower & Dams: World Atlas & Industry Guide; 2008.
-  Cao Y, Pawłowski L. Ecol Chem Eng S. 2014;20(4):799-804. DOI: 10.2478/ECES-2013-0055.[Crossref]
-  Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC.
-  Polish Water Law, DzU 2005.
-  Kasperek R, Mokwa M, Wiatkowski M. Arch Environ Prot. 2013;39(2):29-43. DOI: 10.2478/aep-2013-0017.[Crossref]
-  Bartle A., Hallowes G. Hydroelectric power: present role and future prospects. Proc of the Inst of Civil Eng. 2005;158:28-31.
-  Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources and amending and subsequently repealing Directives 2001/77/EC and 2003/30/EC.
-  Frosio N. Civil works degradation: a natural evolution or an original sin? Hidroenergia 2010; Paper 6A.05; Lozanna; 2010.
-  Novak P, Moffat AIB, Nalluri C, Narayanan R. Hydraulic Structures. London and New York: Taylor & Francis; 2001.
-  Punys P, Sӧderberg C, Sӧderlund T, Wӓnn A. Strategic study for development of small hydropower in the European Union. ESHA/LHA/SERO; 2008.
-  Radecki-Pawlik A. Fish passes as an environmental internal part of a hydraulic structure - investigations of a proposed optimal fish pass pool shape. Acta Hortic Reg. 2003;6:151-153.
-  Polish Energy Law, DzU 2012, poz. 1059.
-  Gulliver JS, Arndt REA. Hydropower Engineering Handbook. New York: McGraw Hill; 1991.
-  Hayes D. Small plants. Int. Water Power and Dam Construction. 2004;12-13.
-  Laks I, Kałuża T, Sojka M, Walczak Z, Wróżyński R. Problems with modelling water distribution in open channels with hydraulic engineering structures. Rocz Ochr Środow. (Annu Set The Environ Prot.). 2013;15(1):245-257.
-  Polish Order of the Environment Minister, DzU 2007, poz. 579.
-  Wiatkowski M, Kasperek R. Proc ECOpole. 2012;6(2):553-558. DOI: 10.2429/proc.2012.6(2)075.[Crossref]
-  European Small Hydropower Association. Guide on How to Develop a Small Hydropower Plant; 2004.
-  Jaeger C. Fluid Transients in Hydro-Electric Engineering Practice. Glasgow; 1977.
-  Mosonyi E. Water Power Development. Budapest: Hungarian Academy of Sciences; 1987.
-  Popescu M, Arsenic D, Vlase P. Applied Hydraulic Transients for Hydropower Plants and Pumping Stations. Rotterdam: Balkema; 2003.
-  Raabe J. Hydropower. The design, use and function of hydromechanical, hydraulic and electrical equipment. VDI Verlag; 1985.
-  Ravn J. Planning and implementation of hydropower projects. Hydropower Development Book Series: Trondheim: Norwegian Institute of Technology; 1992;5.
-  Banasik K, Hejduk L. Flow duration curves for two small catchments with various records in lowland part of poland. Rocz Ochr Środow. (Annu Set The Environ Prot.). 2013;15(1):287-300.
Publication order reference