Adsorption in Perfect Mixing Tank – Comparison of Exact and Approximate Kinetic Models
Languages of publication
Periodic adsorption in a perfect mixing tank of a limited volume was considered. It was assumed that the adsorption rate is limited by diffusion resistance in a pellet. The approximate model of diffusion kinetics based on a continued fraction approximation was compared with the exact analytical solution. For the approximate model an algorithm was developed to determine a temporal variation of the adsorbate concentration in the pellet. The comparison was made for different values of the adsorbent load factor. In the numerical tests different shapes of pellets were considered. Both the numerical tests as well as our own experimental results showed that the approximate model provides results that are in good agreement with the exact solution. In the experimental part of this work adsorption of p-nitrophenol and acetic acid from aqueous solutions on cylindrical pellets of activated carbon was conducted.
1 - 9 - 2014
11 - 12 - 2013
17 - 10 - 2014
26 - 3 - 2014
7 - 5 - 2014
- Chern J.-M., Chien Y.-W., 2002. Adsorption of nitrophenol onto activated carbon: Isotherms and breakthrough curves. Water Research, 36, 647-655. DOI: 10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00258-5. [Crossref]
- Crank J., 1956. The Mathematics of Diffusion. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 53-54, 70-71, 88-89.
- Do D.D., 1998. Adsorption Analysis: Equilibria and Kinetics. Imperial College Press, 804-805.
- Glueckauf E., 1955. Theory of chromatography. Part 10 − Formula for diffusion into spheres and their application to chromatography. Trans. Faraday Soc., 51, 1540-1551.
- Haerifar M., Azizian S., 2013. Mixed surface reaction and diffusion-controlled kinetic model for adsorption at the solid/solution interface. J. Phys. Chem. C, 117, 8310-8317. DOI: 10.1021/jp401571m.[Crossref]
- Kupiec K., Gwadera M., 2013. Approximation for unsteady state diffusion and adsorption with mass transfer resistance in both phases. Chem. Eng. Process., 65, 76-82. DOI: 10.1016/j.cep.2012.12.003.[Crossref][WoS]
- Lee J., Kim D.H., 2011. Simple high-order approximations for unsteady-state diffusion, adsorption and reaction in a catalyst: A unified method by a continued fraction for slab, cylinder and sphere geometries. Chem. Eng. J., 173, 644-650. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2011.08.029.[WoS][Crossref]
- Petrus R., Aksielrud G.A., Gumnicki J.M., Piątkowski W., 1998. Wymiana masy w układzie ciało stałe-ciecz. OWPR Rzeszów, 273.
- Płaziński W., Dziuba J., Rudziński W., 2013. Modeling of sorption kinetics: the pseudo-second order equation and the sorbate intraparticle diffusivity. Adsorption, 19, 1055-1064. DOI: 10.1007/s10450-013-9529-0.[Crossref]
- Suzuki M., 1990. Adsorption Engineering. Elsevier, 106.
Publication order reference