Lab-Scale Investigations During Combustion of Agricultural Residues and Selected Polish Coals
Languages of publication
Preliminary lab-scale investigations were conducted on slagging abatement in biomass-firing by fuel mixing. Three agriculture biomass fuels and olive cake were used in the experiments. Polish lignites and bituminous coals were examined as anti-sintering additives. The effects of chlorine release, potassium retention and ash sintering were examined by heating samples of biomass fuels and additives in the muffle oven and, next, firing them in the laboratory down-fired furnace at the temperature in the range of 800-1150ºC. The obtained slag samples were analysed on: chlorine and potassium content, sintering tendency and crystalline components. Among the examined coals lignite from Turów mine and bituminous coal from Bolesław Śmiały mine appeared to be the most effective in potassium retention in aluminosilicate and chlorine release from slag. Possibly the major factor of these coals which reduced ash sintering was relatively high content of kaolinite
1 - 6 - 2014
10 - 7 - 2014
22 - 3 - 2014
24 - 9 - 2013
25 - 3 - 2014
- Wrocław University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical and Power Engineering, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland, email@example.com
- Wrocław University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical and Power Engineering, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland
- EDF POLSKA Sp. z o.o., ul. Ciepłownicza 1, 31-587 Kraków, Poland
- Aho M., 2001. Reduction of chlorine deposition in FB boilers with aluminium-containing additives. Fuel, 80, 1943-1951. DOI: 10.1016/S0016-2361(01)00049-7.[Crossref]
- Chudek M., Hycnal J., Janiczek S., Plewa F., 1999. Lignite. Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice (in Polish).
- Fernández Llorentea M.J., Díaz Arocas P., Gutiérrez Nebot L., Carrasco García J.E., 2008. The effect of the addition of chemical materials on the sintering of biomass ash. Fuel, 87, 2651-2658. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2008.02.019.[WoS][Crossref]
- Frandsen F., J. van Lith S., 2009. Detailed investigation of Cl-corrosion initiated by deposits formed in biomass biomass-fired boilers, FORSKEL-5820, Final Report No.0905.
- Hardy T., Kordylewski W., Mościcki K., 2013. Aluminosilicate sorbents for control of KCl vapors in biomass combustion gases. J. Power Technologies, 93, 37-43.
- Hardy, T., 2001. Laboratory set-up for investigations of deposits of biomass-firing with selected additives in the drop-tube furnace, In: Wejkowski R., Janda T. (Eds.), R&D Project Report ECOALBOILER Investigations for improving operational efficiency, environmental performance and reduction in maintenance cost of boilers, EDF Polska, CUW, Kraków.
- Kassman H., Wollner L., Berg M., 2013.The ChlorOut concept - a method to reduce alkali-related problems during combustion. VGB PowerTech, 6, 62-67.
- Kordylewski W., Mościcki K., 2012. Additives reducing negative effects of biomass co-firing at a high rate. Report no: 47/2012, P-9/2012 PROJECT. Wrocław University of Technology, Wrocław.
- Lee S.H., Themelis N.J., Castaldi M.J., 2007. High-temperature corrosion in waste-to-energy boilers. J. Thermal Spray Technology, 16, 1-7. DOI: 10.1007/s11666-006-9005-4.[Crossref]
- Montgomery M., Karlsson A., Larsen O.H., 2002. Field test corrosion experiments in Denmark with biomass fuels. Part I: Straw firing. Mater. Corros., 53, 121-131. DOI: 10.1002/1521-4176(200202)53:2<121::AIDMACO121>[Crossref]
- Montgomery M., Jensen S. A., Borg U., Biede O., Vilhelmsen T., 2011. Experiences with high temperature corrosion at straw-firing power plants in Denmark. Mater. Corros., 62, 593-605. DOI: 10.1002/maco.201005856. Polish Hard Coal, Catalogue, 2001. PARGWK, Katowice.[Crossref]
- Steenari B.-M ., Lindqvis O., 1998. High-temperature reactions of straw ash and the anti-sintering additives kaolin and dolomite. Biomass Bioenergy, 14, 67-76. DOI: 10.1016/S0961-9534(97)00035-4.[Crossref]
- Steenari B.-M., Lundberg A., Peterson H., Wasilewska-Bien M., Andersson D., 2009. Investigation of ash sintering during combustion of agriculture residues and the effect of additives. Energy Fuels, 23, 5655-5662. DOI:10.1021/ef900471u.[Crossref][WoS]
- Theis M., Skrifvars B.J., Hupa M., Tran H., 2006. Fouling tendency of ash resulting from burning mixtures of biofuels. Part 1: Deposition rates. Fuel, 85, 1125-1130. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2005.10.010.[Crossref]
- Tran K. Q., Iisa K., Steenari B-M, Lindqvist O., 2005. A kinetic study of gaseous alkali capture by kaolin in the fixed bed reactor equipped with an alkali detector. Fuel, 84, 169-175. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2004.08.019.[Crossref]
- Uusitalo M.A., Vuoristo P.M.J., Mantyla T.A., 2002. Elevated temperature erosion-corrosion of thermal sprayed coatings in chlorine containing environments. Wear, 252, 586-594. DOI: 10.1016/S0043-1648(02)00014-5.[Crossref]
Publication order reference