Co-Firing of Biomass with Pulverised Coal in Oxygen Enriched Atmosphere
Languages of publication
The aim of the paper is a comparative study of co-firing high shares of wooden and agro-biomass with hard coal under oxy-fuel and air conditions in the laboratory scale reactor for pulverised fuels. The investigations of co-combustion behaviour NOx and SO2 emission and burnout were carried out for selected blends. Detailed investigations were concentrated on determining the effect of dosing oxygen method into the burner on NOx emission. The paper presents the results of co-firing blends with 20 and 50% share of biomass by mass in air and oxy-combustion condition. Biomass oxy-cofiring integrated with CCS (CO2 capture) technology could be a carbon negative technology. The reduction of NOx emissions in the conditions of oxy-co-firing is dependent on the concentration of oxygen in the primary stream of oxidiser. A significant reduction of NOx was achieved in the case of low oxygen concentration in the primary stream for each investigated blends. Co-firing of biomass with coal in an oxygen enriched atmosphere enhances combustion behaviour, lowers fuel burnout and as a result increases of the boiler efficiency.
1 - 06 - 2013
09 - 07 - 2013
- Arias B., Pevida C., Rubiera F., Pis J.J., 2008. Effect of biomass blending on coal ignition and burnout during oxy-fuel combustion. Fuel, 87, 2753-2760. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2008.01.020.[Crossref][WoS]
- Budzianowski W.M., 2012. Target for national carbon intensity of energy by 2050: A case study of Poland’s energy system. Energy, 46, 575-581. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2012.07.051.[WoS][Crossref]
- Buhre B.J.P., Elliott L.K., Sheng C.D., Gupta R.P., Wall T.F, 2005. Oxy-fuel combustion technology for coalfired power generation. Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 31, 283-307. DOI: 10.1016/j.pecs.2005.07.001.[Crossref]
- Chen L., Yong Sz., Z., Ghoniem A.F., 2012. Oxy-fuel combustion of pulverized coal: Characterization, fundamentals, stabilization and CFD modeling. Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 38, 156-214. DOI: 10.1016/j.pecs.2011.09.003.[Crossref][WoS]
- Grammelis P., Agraniotis M., Kakaras E., 2010. Co-utilization of biomass based fuels in pulverized coal powerplants in Europe. Handbook of Combustion. 4, 585-608. DOI: 10.1002/9783527628148.hoc071.[Crossref]
- Kruczek H., Raczka P., Tatarek A., 2006. The effect of biomass on pollutant emission and burnout in cocombustion with coal. Combust. Sci. Technol., 178, 1511-1539. DOI: 10.1080/00102200600721297.[Crossref]
- Livingston W.R., 2010. Biomass firing and co-firing in large coal-fired utility boilers. Coal Research Forum/RSC, Leeds, Nov 2010.
- Maciejewska A., Veringa H., Sanders J., Peteves S.D., 2006. Co-firing of biomass with coal: Constraints and roleof biomass pre-treatment. Edited by the European Commision. DG JRC, Institute for Energy, Eur 22461 EN.
- Pawlak-Kruczek H., 2010. Agrobiomass for co-firing in PP. Proceedings of the 35th International TechnicalConference on Clean Coal & Fuel Systems, Clearwater, Florida, USA, 6-10 June 2010.
- Pawlak-Kruczek H., Czerep M., Zgóra J., 2010. Współspalanie różnych typów biomasy - wpływ na parametry spalania. International XI Conference on Boiler Technology, ICBT 2010, Szczyrk, 19-22 October 2010.
- Pedersen L.S., Nielsen H.P., Kiil W., Hansen L.A., Dam-Johansen K., Kildsig F., Christensen J., Jespersen P., 1996. Full-scale co-firing of straw and coal. Fuel, 75, 1584-1590. DOI: 10.1016/0016-2361(96)82642-1.[Crossref]
- Riaza J., Gil M.V., Alvarez L., Pevida C., Pis J.J., Rubiera F., 2012. Oxy-fuel combustion of coal and biomass blends. Energy, 41, 429-435. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2012.02.057.[Crossref]
- Savolainen K., 2003. Co-firing of biomass in coal-fired utility boilers, Appl. Energy, 74, 369-381. DOI: 10.1016/S0306-2619(02)00193-9.[Crossref]
- Wall T., Liu Y., Spero C., Elliott L., Khare S., Rathnam R., Zeenathal F., Moghtaderi B., Buhre B., Sheng C., Gupta R., Yamada T., Makino K., Yu J., 2009. An overview on oxyfuel coal combustion-State of the art research and technology development. Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 87, 1003-1016. DOI: 10.1016/j.cherd.2009.02.005.[WoS][Crossref]
- Zuwala J., Sciazko M., 2005. Co-firing besed energy systems - Modelling and case studies. 14th EuropeanBiomass Conference & Exhibition Biomass for Energy, Industry and Climate Protection, Paris, 17-21 October 2005.
- Zuwala J., Sciazko M., 2010. Full-scale co-firing trial tests of saw dust and bio-waste in pulverized coal-fired 230t/h steam boiler. Biomass Bioenergy, 34, 1165-1174. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2010.03.003.[WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference