Dew Point of the Flue Gas of Boilers Co-Firing Biomass with Coal
Languages of publication
The paper deals with the impact of co-firing biomass with coal in boilers on the dew point of the flue gas. Co-firing of biomass may have twofold implications on corrosion and fouling, which are the processes that determine the lowest acceptable flue gas outlet temperature and as a result, boiler efficiency. Both phenomena may be reduced by co-firing of usually low sulphur biomasses or enhanced due to increased moisture content of biomass leading to increased water dew point. The present study concerns the problem of low-temperature corrosion in utility boilers. The paper gives (in the form of diagrams and equations) a relationship between water dew point and moisture content of fuel mixture when co-firing coal and various biomasses. The regression analysis shows that despite significant differences in the characteristics of coals and these of additional fuels, which are planned for co-firing in large-scale power boilers, the water dew point can be described by a function given with the accuracy, which shall be satisfactory for engineering purposes. The discussion of the properties of biofuels indicates that the acid dew point surplus over the water dew point (Δtr = tr - twr) is not likely to exceed 10 K when co-firing biomass. The concluding remarks give recommendations for the appropriate operation of boilers in order to reduce risks associated with biomass co-combustion.
1 - 03 - 2013
02 - 04 - 2013
- Silesian University of Technology (SUT), Institute of Power Engineering and Turbomachinery, Konarskiego 20, 44-101 Gliwice, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silesian University of Technology (SUT), Institute of Power Engineering and Turbomachinery, Konarskiego 20, 44-101 Gliwice, Poland
- Decree of the Minister of Economy, 2012. Decree of the Minister Economy of 18 October 2012 on the detailed range of the duties in obtaining and submitting for cancellation the certificates of the origin, payment of supplementary fare and the purchase of electric energy and heat produced in renewable energy sources, and to confirm the data on the amount of electricity generated from renewable energy sources. Dz.U. 2012, poz. 1229, available at: http://www.ure.gov.pl/download/1/6059/rozporzadzenie.pdf.
- Derichs W., Menden W., Ebel P.K., 1991. Messungen zur Bestimmung des Säuretaupunktes und der SO3 - Konzentration im Rauchgas von Kraftwerkskesseln. VGB Kraftwerkstechnik, 71, 35400001113480.0130.
- EU Directive, 2000. Directive 2000/76/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 4 December 2000 on the incineration of waste. Official Journal of the European Communities, L332/91-L332/111, available at: http://www.central2013.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Document_Centre/OP_Resources/Incineration_D irective_2000_76.pdf.
- EU Directive, 2001. Directive 2001/77/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 September 2001 on the promotion of electricity produced from renewable energy sources in the internal electricity market. Official Journal of the European Communities, L283/33 - L283/40, available at: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2001:283:0033:0033:EN:PDF.
- EU Directive, 2003. Directive 2003/87/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 October 2003 establishing a scheme for greenhouse gas emission allowance trading within the Community and amending Council Directive 96/61/EC. Official Journal of the European Union, L275/32 - L275/46, available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:275:0032:0032:EN:PDF.
- IChPC, 2007. Investigation of properties of bioethanol production by-product. Institute for Chemical Processing of Coal, Zabrze, Poland.
- Irvine T.F., Liley P.E., 1980. Microcomputer program for the thermodynamic properties of steam. Rumford, Chicago.
- Nowaczyk M., 2007. Sewage sludge co-firing technologies in the energy sector. MSci Thesis (Under the supervision of M. Pronobis). Silesian University of Technology, Poland (in Polish).
- Pronobis M., 2002. Modernisation of steam generators. WNT Warszawa, 197-207 (in Polish).
- Wandrasz J. W., Kozioł M., Landrat M., Ścierski W., Wandrasz A. J., 2000. Possibility of co-firing sludge derived from sewage treatment plants with coal in stoker-fired boilers. Gospodarka Paliwami i Energią, 8 (in Polish).
- Wandrasz J. W., Wandrasz A. J., 2006. Fuel formation - Biofuels and fuels from wastes in thermal processes. Seidel-Przywecki, Warszawa (in Polish).
Publication order reference