Trends in the gameplay of European football players
Languages of publication
Background: The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of footballers who participated in the 2008 and 2012 European Championships. The study was conducted by analysis of basic technical and tactical game. Material/Methods: The observation method in the form of a kinematic game analysis system was used to collect necessary data. The research material was based on analysis of 304 players participating in the 2008 European Championships and 277 players in the 2012 European Championships, with each tournament consisting of 31 matches. Statistica software was used to apply the Student’s t-test for the independent groups. Results: Higher values of indicators determining player’s efficiency were found in the teams participating in the 2012 tournament; significant differences were found in the total number (p = 0.048) and accuracy (p = 0.034) of shots taken by the most successful teams, in the number (p = 0.044), efficiency (p = 0.002) and accuracy (p < 0.001) of passes as well as in the length of distance covered (p < 0.001). Conclusions: A systematic increase in the efficiency of passes in subsequent tournaments points to an upward trend of this element in the game. An increase was also noted in the number of shots taken, which was accompanied by a decrease in shot accuracy. Modern football has become a fast team game with lots of passes of high reliability. Thus, training of young players should be focused on the development of playing techniques and motor skills
1 - 12 - 2014
1 - 1 - 2014
1 - 6 - 2014
30 - 12 - 2014
- 1. Hughes MD, Bartlett RM. The use of performance indicators in performance analysis. J Sports Sci. 2002;20(10):739-754.[Crossref]
- 2. Carling C, Reilly T, Williams A. Performance assessment for field sports: Physiological, psychological and match notational assessment in practice. London: Routledge; 2009
- 3. Dellal A, Wong DP, Moalla W, Chamari K. Physical and technical activity of soccer players in the French first division - with special reference the playing position. Inter Sport Med J. 2010;11(2):278-290.
- 4. Abrantes C, Maçãs V, Sampaio J, Variation in football players’ sprint test performance across different ages and levels of competition. J Sports Sci Med. 2004;3(1):44-49.
- 5. Soroka A, Bergier J. Actions with the ball that determine the effectiveness of play in women’s football. J Hum Kinet. 2010;26:97-104. doi: 10.2478/v10078-010-0053-y[WoS][Crossref]
- 6. Little T, Williams AG. Specificity of acceleration, maximum speed and agility in professional soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;19(1):76-78.
- 7. Rampinini E, Coutts AJ, Castagna C, Sassi R, Impellizzeri FM. Variation in top level soccer match performance. Int J Sports Med. 2007;28(12):1018-1024.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 8. Soroka A, Bergier J. Symmetry and asymmetry of shots in the World Championships in South Africa 2010. In: Sadowski J, Ninnikowski T, eds. Coordination motor abilities in scientific research. Biala Podlaska: Faculty of Physical Education and Sport in Biała Podlaska; 2011, 185-194.
- 9. Lago-Peňas C, Dellal A. Ball possession strategies in elite soccer according to the evolution of the match-score: the influence of situational variables. J Hum Kinet. 2010;25:93-100. doi: 10.2478/v10078-010-0036-z[Crossref]
- 10. Armatas V, Yiannakos A, Papadopoulou S, Galazoulas Ch. Analysis of the set-plays in the 18th football World Cup in Germany. Phys Train. October; 2007.
- 11. Soroka A. The rank of one-on-one duels based on women’s European Football Championship - England 2005. Antropomotoryka. 2010;20(51):51-60.
- 12. Hughes MD, Franks I. Analysis of passing sequences, shots and goals in soccer. J Sports Sci. 2005;23(5):509-514. doi: 10.1080/02640410410001716779[Crossref]
- 13. Bloomfield J, Polman RCJ, O'Donoghue PG. Physical demands of different positions in FA Premier League soccer. J Sports Sci Med. 2007;6:63-70.
- 14. Krustrup P, Mohr M, Ellingsgaard H, Bangsbo J. Physical demands during an elite female soccer game: importance of training status. Med Sci Sports Exer. 2005;37(7):1242-1248.[Crossref]
- 15. Barros RML, Misuta MS, Menezes RP, et al. Analysis of the distances covered by First Division Brazilian soccer players obtained with an automatic tracking method. J Sports Sci Med. 2007;6:233-242.
- 16. Mohr M, Krustrup P, Bangsbo J. Match performance of high-standard soccer players with special reference to development of fatigue. J Sports Sci. 2003;21(7):519-528. doi: 10.1080/0264041031000071182[Crossref]
- 17. Di Salvo V, Baron R, Tschan H, Calderon Montero FJ, Bachl N, Pigozzi F. Performance characteristics according to playing position in elite soccer. Inter J Sports Med. 2007;28(3):222-227. doi: 10.1055/s-2006-924294[Crossref]
- 18. Bradley PD, Sheldon W, Wooster B, Olsen P, Boanas P, Krustrup P. High-intensity running in FA Premier League soccer matches. J Sports Sci. 2009;27(2):159-168. doi:10.1080/02640410802512775. www.totalfootblog.com[Crossref][WoS]
- 19. Soroka A. Charakterystyka wybranych modeli gry pilłkarzy noznych podczas Mistrzostw Swiata - RPA 2010 [Characteristics of selected models of footballers’ game during the World Cup - South Africa 2010]. Biala Podlaska: PSW; 2011. Polish.
- 20. Patridge D, Mosher RE, Frankhe JM. A computer assisted analysis of technical performance - a comparison of the 1990 world cup and intercollegiate soccer. In: Reilly T, Clarys J, Stibee A, Eds. Science and Football II. London: E&F.N. SPON; 1993, 221-231.
- 21. Luhtanen P, Belinskij A, Hägrinen M, Vänttinen T. A comparative tournament analysis between the Euro 1996 and 2000 in soccer. Inter Journal Perform Anal Sport. 2001;1(1):74-82.
- 22. Soroka A, Bergier J. The relationship among the somatic characteristics, age and covered distance of football players. Hum Mov. 2011;12(4):353-360. doi:10.2478/v10038-011-0041-7[Crossref]
- 23. Dellal A, Chamari K, Wong DP, et al. Comparison of physical and technical performance in European soccer match-play. FA Premier League and La Liga, Eur J Sport Sci. 1011;11(1):51-59. doi:10.1080/17461391.2010.481334[Crossref]
- 24. Zubillaga A, Gorospe G, Mendo AH, Villasenor B. Match analysis of 2005/2006 Champions League Final with Amisco system. J Sports Sci Med. Suppl. 2007;10:16
Publication order reference