Body balance in a free-standing position in road and off-road cyclists
Languages of publication
Background: The purpose of this study was to compare body balance in road and off-road cyclists, immediately before and after the racing season. Material/Methods: Twenty individuals participated in the study and they were divided into two groups: specialists in road-cycling (n = 10) and in off-road cycling (n = 10). Immediately before and after the five-month racing season stabilographic trials were carried out (at rest and after progressive exercise). In assessing body balance the distance and velocity of the centre shifts (in the anterior-posterior and left-right direction) were analysed. The tests were performed with the cyclists’ eyes open, eyes closed, and in feedback. Results: After the racing season, in the off-road cyclists’ group, distance and velocity of the centre of pressure shifts increased after a progressive exercise. Conclusions: In the off-road cyclists’ group the balance of the body in the sagittal plane deteriorated after the racing season. Moreover, after the racing season off-road cyclists were characterized by a worse balance of the body, compared to road cyclists
1 - 12 - 2014
1 - 10 - 2014
1 - 8 - 2013
30 - 12 - 2014
- 1. Hrysomallis C. Balance ability and athletic performance. Sports Med. 2011;41:221-232.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 2. Winter DA. Human balance and posture control during standing and walking. Gait Posture. 1995;3:193-214.[Crossref]
- 3. Yaggie JA, Campbell BM. Effects of balance training on selected skills. J Strength Cond Res. 2006;20:422-428.[PubMed]
- 4. Kuczynski M, Rektor Z, Borzucka D. Postural control in quiet stance in the second league male volleyball players. Hum Mov. 2009;10:12-15.
- 5. Orr R, Raymond J, Singh MF. Efficacy of progressive resistance training on balance performance in older adults. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Sports Med. 2008;38:317-343.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 6. Abatzides GJ, Kitsios A. The role of rehabilitation in the treatment of balance disorders. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 1999;12:101-112.[PubMed]
- 7. Samolyk A, Wiazek W, Dolinski M, Jethon Z. Assessment of body position stability after executing submaximal physical effort during a 10-metre dive. Polski Przeglad Medycyny Lotniczej. 2009;15:17-26. Polish.
- 8. Guidetti L, Franciosi E, Gallotta MC, Emerenziani GP, Baldari C. Postural control after a prolonged treadmill run at individual ventilatory and anaerobic threshold. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2011;10:515-519.
- 9. Lepers R, Bigard AX, Diard JP, Gouteyron JF, Guezennec CY. Posture control after prolonged exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1997;76:55-61.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 10. Dickin DC, Doan JB. Postural stability in altered and unaltered sensory environments following fatiguing exercise of lower extremity joints. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2008;18:765-772.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- 11. Erkmen N, Taskin H, Kaplan T, Sanioglu A. Balance performance and recovery after exercise with water intake, sport drink intake and no fluid. J Exerc Sci and Fit. 2010;8:105-112.
- 12. Mello RG, de Oliveira LF, Nadal J. Effects of maximal oxygen uptake test and prolonged cycle ergometer exercise on the quiet standing control. Gait Posture. 2010;32:220-225.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- 13. Bressel E, Yonker JC, Kras J, Heath EM. Comparison of static and dynamic balance in female collegiate soccer, basketball and gymnastics athletes. J Athl Train. 2007;42:42-46.[PubMed]
- 14. Matsuda S, Demura S, Uchiyama M. Centre of pressure sway characteristics during static one-legged stance of athletes from different sports. J Sports Sci. 2008;26:775-779.[Crossref][WoS]
- 15. Lion A, Gauchard GC, Deviterne D, Perrin PP. Differentiated influence of off-road and on-road cycling practice on balance control and the related-neurosensory organization. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19:623-630.[Crossref][WoS]
- 16. Yaggie JA, McGregor SJ. Effects of isokinetic ankle fatigue on the maintenance of balance and postural limits? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002;83:224-228.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 17. Hiemstra LA, Lo IK, Fowler PJ. Effect of fatigue on knee proprioception: implications for dynamic stabilization. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2001;31(10):598-605.[Crossref]
- 18. Lattanzio PJ, Petrella RJ, Sproule JR, Fowler PJ. Effects of fatigue on knee proprioception. Clin J Sport Med. 1997;7:22-27[PubMed][Crossref]
Publication order reference