The assessment of specific physical fitness of children aged 8 and 9 years participating in tennis classes using the Jindrich Hoehm test
Languages of publication
Study aim: The purpose of the study was to use the Jindrich Hoehm test to evaluate physical fitness in boys and girls aged 8 and 9 years participating in tennis classes. Material and methods: A total of 40 children divided into four sample groups participated in the study. The J. Hoehm test consisting of seven components was used to measure and assess the physical fitness of the research participants. This test is used in child and adolescent tennis training to assess specific physical fitness. Results: The actual data showed significant differences between 8-year-old boys and girls that were established based on the test components assessing lower extremity strength capacity and the agility assessment test. In the group of children aged 9, the differences between boys and girls emerged in the test assessing lower extremity strength capacity as well as the test component assessing the forehand and backhand footwork movement technique. Inasmuch as the test component assessing lower extremity strength capacity showed differences between 8- and 9-year-old boys, no test demonstrated statistically significant differences between 8- and 9-year-old girls. Based on the normalized data, 8-year-old girls are physically fitter than 8-year-old boys. In the group of 9-year-old children, the relation is reversed. The children participating in the study display a low level of physical fitness. Conclusion: The J. Hoehm test can be a useful tool for assessing the performance of tennis coaches.
1 - 1 - 2014
23 - 4 - 2014
- 1. Castro-Pineiro J., F.B. Ortega, X.D. Keating, J.L. Gonzalez- Montesinos, M. Sjostrom, J.R. Ruiz (2011) Percentile values for aerobic performance running/walking field tests in children aged 6 to 17 years; influence of weight status. Nutr. Hosp., 26: 572-578. DOI: 10.3305/ nh.2011.26.3.4597[Crossref]
- 2. Elliott B., G. Fleising, R. Nicholls, R. Escamilia (2003) Technique effects on upper limb loading in the tennis serve. J. Sci. Med. Sport, 6: 76-87. DOI: 10.1016/S1440-2440(03)80011-7[Crossref]
- 3. Elliott B. (2006) Biomechanics and tennis. Br. J. Sports Med., 40: 392-396. DOI:10.1136/bjsm.2005.023150[Crossref]
- 4. Erlandson M.C., L.B. Sherar, R.L. Mirwald, N. Maffulli, A.D. Baxter-Jones (2008) Growth and maturation of adolescent female gymnasts, swimmers, and tennis players. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 40: 34-42. DOI: 10.1249/ mss.0b013e3181596678[Crossref]
- 5. Fernandez J., A. Mendez-Villanueva, B.M. Pluim (2006) Intensity of tennis match play. Br. J. Sports Med., 40: 387-391. DOI:10.1136/bjsm.2005.023168[Crossref]
- 6. Fjortoft I., A.V. Pedersen, H. Sigmundsson, B. Vereijken (2011) Measuring physical fitness in children who are 5 to 12 years old with a test battery that is functional and easy to administer. Phys. Ther., 91: 1087-1095. DOI: 10.2522/ptj.20090350[Crossref]
- 7. Gomes R.V., A. Moreira, L. Lodo, K. Nosaka, A.J. Coutts, M.S. Aoki (2013) Monitoring training loads, stress, immune-endocrine responses and performance in tennis players. Biol. Sport., 30: 173-180. DOI: 10.5604/20831862.1059169[Crossref]
- 8. Gomes R.V., R.C.O. Santos, K. Nosaka, A. Moreira, E.H. Miyabara, M.S. Aoki (2014) Muscle damage after a tennis match in young players. Biol., Sport, 31: 27-32. DOI: 10.5604/20831862.1083276
- 9. Huang Y.C., R.M. Malina (2010) Body mass index and individual physical fitness tests in Taiwanese youth aged 9-18 years. Int. J. Pediatr. Obes., 5: 404-411. DOI: 10.3109./17477160903497902
- 10. Jayanthi N., C. Pinkham, L. Dugas, B. Patrick, C. Labella (2103) Sports specialization in young athletes: evidencebased recommendation. Sports Health, 5: 251-257. DOI: 10.1177/1941738112464626
- 11. Jopkiewicz A., A. Jopkiewicz, M. Lelonek (2007) The level of psychophysical and mental capacity in 10-yearold children with different movement activity. Antropomotoryka, 38: 63-69.
- 12. Kovacs M.S. (2006) Applied physiology of tennis performance. Br. J. Sports Med., 40: 381-386. DOI:10.1136/ bjsm.2005.023309[Crossref]
- 13. Kovacs M.S. (2007) Tennis Physiology. Training the competitive athlete. Sports Med., 37(3): 189-198. DOI: 10.2165/00007256-200737030-00001[Crossref]
- 14. Królak A. (1997) Testing of tennis players. Resortowe Centrum Medyczno-Szkoleniowe Kultury Fizycznej i Sportu, Warszawa.
- 15. Malina RM. (2010) Early sport specialization: roots, effectiveness, risks. Curr. Sports Med. Rep., 9: 364-371. DOI: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e3181fe3166[Crossref]
- 16. Mostafavifar A.M., T.M.Best, G.D.Myer (2013) Early sport specialization, does it lead to long-term problems? Br. J. Sports Med., 47: 1060-1061. DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2012-092005[Crossref]
- 17. Mynarski W., A. Nawrocka, M. Rozpara, W. Garbaciak (2012) Physical activity of male and female adolescents living in a town and a city in the context of public health recommendations. Biomed. Hum. Kin., 4: 18-23, DOI:10.2478/v10101-012-0004-2[Crossref]
- 18. Nowak M., R. Panfil (2012) Scoring abilities in the game tennis - a pragmatic study of unique cases. Hum. Mov., 13: 313-322. DOI:10.2478/v10038-012-0036-z 19.[Crossref]
- 19. Przewęda R., J. Dobosz (2003) Growth and physical fitness of Polish youths in two successive decades. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness, 43: 465-474.
- 20. Sienkiewicz-Dianzenza E., P. Tomaszewski, D. Iwańska, R. Stupnicki (2009) Anaerobic endurance of young untrained male and female subjects. Biomed. Hum. Kin., 1: 16-19. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0005-y[Crossref]
- 21. Smith A.W., F.F. Ulmer, D.P. Wong (2012) Gender differences in postural stability among children. J. Hum. Kin., 33: 25-32. DOI: 10.2478/v10078-012-0041-5[Crossref]
- 22. Stępień A., T. Bober, J. Zawadzki (2011) The kinematics of trunk and upper extremities in one-handed and twohanded backhand stroke. J. Hum. Kin., 30: 37-47. DOI: 10.2478/v10078-011-0071-4[Crossref]
- 23. Wells J.C.K. (2007) Sexual dimorphism of body composition. Best Pract. Res. Cl. En., 21: 415-430. DOI: 10.1016/j.beem.2007.04.007[Crossref]
- 24. Wiliński W. (2012) Gender identity in female football players. Hum. Mov., 13: 40-47. DOI: 10.2478/v10038-012-0003-8[Crossref]
- 25. Zatoń M., A. Stępień (2011) An assessment of the aerobic and anaerobic capacities of a tennis player. Hum. Mov., 12: 139-146. DOI: 10,2478/v10038-011-0011-0
Publication order reference