Catalytic air oxidation of manganese in synthetic waters
Languages of publication
An attempt was made to study the oxidation of manganese by air in synthetic waters. A series of batch experments were performed at differnet values of concentration, temperature and pH. Unoxidized manganese in the solution was determined by formaldoxime spectrometric method. Results of these studies indicated that the air oxidation of manganese soluble in water can be effectively performed in basic media and that oxidation yield increasedwith an increase in pH and concentration. The yield was very high in the presence of manganese dioxide, sepiolite or clinoptilolite in solution and, the oxidation was almost completed especially at high values of pH and concentration. The reaction was found to be first order with respect to Mn2+ with a very low activation energy. A yield of 62% was obtained for the air oxidation of wastewater taken from the treatment plant of Corum Municipality.
1 - 9 - 2005
1 - 9 - 2005
- Chemical Engineering Department, Corum Engineering Faculty, Gazi University, Corum, Turkey, email@example.com
- Chemical Engineering Department, Corum Engineering Faculty, Gazi University, Corum, Turkey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemical Engineering Department, Corum Engineering Faculty, Gazi University, Corum, Turkey, email@example.com
-  http://www.awwoa.org.au/conf_papers/2001/
-  http://www.cce.cornell.edu/factsheets/wq-fact-sheets/
-  http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/
-  T. Stembal, M. Markic, N. Ribicic, F. Briski and L. Sipos: “Removal of ammonia, iron and manganese from groundwaters of northern Croatia-pilot plant studies”, Process Biochem., Vol. 40, (2005), pp. 327–335. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2004.01.006[Crossref]
-  D. Gregory and K. Carlson: “Effect of soluble Mn concentration on oxidation kinetics”, Journal AWWA, Vol. 95(1), (2003), pp. 98–108.
-  G. Tchobanoglous and E.D. Schroeder: Water Quality, Addison Wesley, USA, 1987.
-  J.C. Marble, T.L. Corley, M.H. Conklin and C.C. Fuller: “Environmental factors affecting oxidation of manganese in Pinal Creek, Arizona”, Env. Sci. Tech., Vol. 27, (1993), pp. 661–666. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es00041a009[Crossref]
-  TS 6289-ISO 6333/Nisan 1998, ICS 13.060.40, Su Kalitesi-Mangan Tayini-, Formaldoksim ile Spektrometrik Metot, TSE, Ankara, 1998.
-  C.N. Sawyer, P.L. McCarty, G.F. Parkin: Chemistry for Environmental Engineering, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
-  M. Zaw and B. Chiswell: “Iron and manganese dynamics in lake water”, Water Res., Vol. 33(8), (1999), pp. 1900–1910. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00360-1[Crossref]
-  P. Berbenni, A. Pollice, R. Canziani, L. Stabile and F. Nobili: “Removal of iron and manganese from hydrocarbon-contaminated groundwaters”, Biores. Tech., Vol. 74, (2000), pp. 109–114. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00003-1[Crossref]
-  A. Graveland and P.M. Heertjes: “Removal of manganese from ground water by heterogeneous autocatalytic oxidation”, Trans. Ins. Chem. Eng., Vol. 53, (1975), pp. 154–164.
-  S.H.R. Davies and J.J. Morgan: “Manganese (II) oxidation kinetics on metal oxide surfaces”, J. Colloid and Interface Sci., Vol. 129, (1989), pp. 63–77. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(89)90416-5[Crossref]
-  H. Yalcin and M. Guru: Su Teknolojisi, Palme Yayincilik, Ankara, 2002.
-  A. Alicilar, A. Bicer and A. Murathan: “The relation betwee wetting efficiency and liquid holdup in packed columns”, Chem. Eng. Com., Vol. 128, (1994), pp. 95–107.
-  D.A. White and A.A. Siddique: “Removal of manganese and iron from drinking water using hydrous manganese dioxide”, Solvent Extrac. Ion Change, Vol. 15(6), (1997), pp. 1133–1145.
-  V. Petkova: “Natural zeolites in manganese removal”, Ingeneria Hidraulica en Mexico, Vol. 12(3), (1997), pp. 41–49.
-  V.P. Simeonova, M.I. Mintchev and M.L. Rivera: “Pilot study of iron and managanese removal from Mexican drinking water supply sources”, Ingeneria Hidraulica en Mexico, Vol. 14(2), (1999), pp. 27–38.
-  A.S. Murathan: “Removal of strontium, aluminium, manganese and iron ions from aqueous solutions in packed beds”, Fresenius Env. Bulletin, Vol. 13(6), (2004), pp. 481–484.
-  D. Johnson, B. Chiswell and K. O'halloran: “Micro-organisms and manganese cycling in a seasonally stratified freshwater dam”, Water Res., Vol. 29, (1995), pp. 2739–2745. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(95)00156-F[Crossref]
Publication order reference