The characteristic X-ray spectra of free atoms of metals
Languages of publication
The article presents the results of a study of characteristic X-ray spectra of free atoms by means of a new simple technique. A pulsed electron beam was used for evaporation and to create inner-shell vacancies in free atoms of metals. The spectra were obtained with the help of an X-ray monochromator which allowed precise comparison between the free-atoms spectra and corresponding solid-state spectra. The shifts of the peaks were measured and found to be in the range Δλ/λ≈10−5–10−4. The K-, L- and M-series spectra were studied. A number of the free-atoms spectra revealed structure which was not resolved in the solid-state spectra and which is of interest for atomic structure calculation applications. This electron beam technique for the investigation of X-ray characteristic spectra of free atoms can be used for the refinement of X-ray wavelength standards.
1 - 6 - 2003
1 - 6 - 2003
-  B.K. Agarwal: X-ray Spectroscopy, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1991.
-  P.S. Antsiferov: “Characteristic K X-ray lines, emitted by metallic vapours”, J. Quant.Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, Vol. 58, (1997), pp. 67–74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4073(97)00031-9[Crossref]
-  P.S. Antsiferov: “The X-ray Characteristic L-Spectrum of Sn, Emitted by Metallic Vapour”, Physica Scripta, Vol. 57, (1998), pp. 330–333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0031-8949/57/3/004[Crossref]
-  P.S. Antsiferov: “X-ray M Spectra of free Lead and Bismuth Atoms”, Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 86, (1999), pp. 868–870.
-  P.S. Antsiferov: “Shifts of X-ray Characteristic L-lines of Free atoms of Rare-Earth Metals”, Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 90, (2001), pp. 21–23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1134/1.1343541[Crossref]
-  P.S. Antsiferov and V.G. Movshev: “Status of the EBIT project at the institute of spectroscopy”, Z. Phys. D.-Atoms, Molecules and Clusters Suppl. Vol. 21, (1991), pp. 317–318. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01426339[Crossref]
-  J.A. Bearden: “X-ray Wavelenghts”, Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 39, (1967), pp. 78–142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/RevModPhys.39.78[Crossref]
-  Y. Cauchois: “Wavelengths of X-ray emission lines and absorption edges”, International tables of selected constants;18, William Clowes & Sons Limited, London, Beccles and Colcheste, 1978.
-  I.A. Britov, L.E. Mstibovskaja, L.C. Rabinovich: “The method of the investigation of X-ray spectra of metal vapours”, Sov. Izvestija Academii Nauk USSR, Vol. 40, (1976), pp. 303–306.
-  B. Sonntag and P. Zimmermann: “XUV spectroscopy of metal atoms”, Rep. Prog. Phys., (1992), pp. 911–987.
-  P.S. Antsiferov: “The X-ray spectrometer for the electron beam ion trap”, Sov. Zhurnal Technicheskoi Fiziki, Vol. 65, (1995), pp. 168–172.
-  P.S. Antsiferov and Yu.V. Ralchenko: “Measurement and interpretation of the low-energy wing of Fe K-betta 1,3 characteristic X-ray line”, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, Vol. 69, (2001), pp. 103–106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4073(00)00064-9[Crossref]
-  B.M. Smirnov: “The processes in the expanding and condencing gas”, Sov. Uspehi Fizicheskih Nauk, Vol. 164, (1994), pp. 21.
-  L.L. House: “Theoretical wavelengths for K-alpha type X-ray lines in the spectra of ionized atoms (carbon to copper)”, Astrophys. J., Suppl.Ser. No.155, Vol. 18, (1969), pp. 21–45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/190183[Crossref]
-  E.G. Kessler Jr, D. Deslattes, D. Givard, W. Schwitz, L. Jacobs, O. Renner: “Mid-to-high-Z precision X-Ray measurements”, Phys. Rev., Vol. A26, (1982), pp. 2696–2706. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.26.2696[Crossref]
Publication order reference