Analytical applications of electrode sensitive to labetalol in pharmaceuticals
Languages of publication
The analytical properties of an ion-selective electrode sensitive to labetalol with a liquid membrane, based on ion-pair complexes with sodium tetraphenylborate (TPB-Na+) are described. The studied electrode can be used for the determination of labetalol hydrochloride as a protonated form of labetalol in pharmaceuticals. The calibration curve, e.g. EMF=f(pCLabHCl) is linear in the range from 10−5 to 10−2 mol L−1 with a correlation coefficient of 0.9992 and slope of 61.13 mV/decade, which is close to the Nernstian slope. The detection limit of the examined electrode is 7.20×10−6 mol L−1. The influence of pH of the tested solutions on the formulation of the electrode is not as considerable since the electrode works correctly in the pH range 3.0–8.0. The main attributes of the developed electrode are: stability, good reproducibility of EMF and short response time, close to 30 seconds depending on labetalol concentration in the solution. The electrode shows good selectivity for many inorganic ions. The selectivity for drug cations is weaker due to the structural similarity of the interfering cations to labetalol. The results of labetalol determination using direct potentiometry in drugs such as Pressocard (Polpharma) and Trandate (GlaxoWellcome) were compatible with the quantity of labetalol declared by the manufacturer, and with parallel UV spectrophotometric and HPLC determinations.
1 - 9 - 2003
1 - 9 - 2003
-  H. Suzuki, H. Nakagawa, M. Mifune, Y. Saito: “A widely applicable electrode sensitive to basic drugs based on poly(vinyl chloride) membrane plasticized with tricresyl phosphate”, Chem. Pharm. Bull., Vol. 41, (1993), pp. 1123–1126.
-  R. Aubeck, Ch. Brauchle, N. Hampp: “Ion-selective Membrane Electrodes for the Determination of the Muscle Relaxants Pancuronium, Tubocurarine, Gallamine and Succinylcholine”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 238, (1990), pp. 405–410. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)80566-8[Crossref]
-  E.M. Elnemma, F.M. El Zawawy, S.S. Hassan: “Determination of Amitriptyline, Imipramine and Orphenadrine in Antidepressant Drugs by Potentiometry, Spectrophotometry and Atomic Absorption Spectrometry”, Mikrochim. Acta, Vol. 110, (1993), pp. 79–88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01243988[Crossref]
-  B. Magnuszewska and Z. Figaszewski: “Application of promazine compound with cadmium tetraiodide complex in the liquid membrane of an ion-selective electrode”, Chem. Anal-Warsaw, Vol. 43, (1998), pp. 265–273.
-  V.V. Cosofret: Membrane Electrodes in Drug-Substances Analysis, Pergamon Press, A. Wheaton & Co. Ltd, Exeter, UK, 1982.
-  C.S.P. Castry and D.M. Krishna: “Spectrophotometric methods for the determination of labetalol hydrochloride in pure and dosage forms”, Mikrochim. Acta, Vol. 122, (1996), pp. 87–93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01252409[Crossref]
-  A. Witek, H. Hopkala, L. Przyborowski: “Chromatographic-separation of bisoprolol, labetalol and propafenone in the form of dabsyl derivatives”, Chem. Anal-Warsaw, Vol. 43, (1998), pp. 817–822.
-  I. Lepotier, S.L. Tamisierkarolak, P. Morin, F. Megel, M. Taverna: “Comparison of native, alkylated and charged cyclodextrins for the chiral separation of labetalol stereoisomers by capillary electrophoresis”, J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 829, (1998), pp. 341–349. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(98)00793-6[Crossref]
-  R.K. Gilpin and L.A. Pachla: “Pharmaceuticals and related drugs”, Anal. Chem., Vol. 61, (1989), pp. 191R-214R.
-  C. Cenciceros, M.I. Maguregui, R.M. Jimenez, R.M. Alonso: “Quantitative determination of the beta-blocker labetalol in pharmaceuticals and human urine by high-performance liquid chromatography with amperometric detection”, J. Chromatogr. B, Vol. 705, (1998), pp. 97–103.
-  K. Yeleswaram, J.E. Axelson, D.W. Rurak: “Sensitive microbore high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for labetalol in the biological fluids of pregnant sheep”, J. Chromatogr., Vol. 565, (1991), pp. 383–390.
-  S.R. Binder and M.E. Biaggi: “Analysis of urinary catecholamines by highperformance liquid chromatography in the presence of labetalol metabolites”, J. Chromatogr., Vol. 385, (1987), pp. 241–247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(01)94636-9[Crossref]
-  A. Voulgaropoulos, M. Sofoniou, E. Kazakou: “Performance-Characteristics of a Labetalol-H Plus-Tetraphenylborate Selective Electrode”, Electroanal. Chem., Vol. 5, (1993), pp. 525–528. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/elan.1140050524[Crossref]
-  Y. Umezawa: CRC Handbook of Ion-Selective Electrodes, CRC Press, Boca Raton. FL, 1990.
Publication order reference