Efficiency assessment of wastewater treatment plant based on SPMD sampling
Languages of publication
The efficiency of treatment processes forboth municipal and industrial wastewater (treatment plant-Ostrava, Czech Republic) focused on persistent organic pollutants (POPs) was assessed. Semipermeable membrane devices (SPMDs) as a sampling system were applied. Exposed SPMDs were analyzed both for chemical contaminants of POPs and toxicity response. The chemical analyses of PAHs were made by HPLC-FLD, PCDD/Fs and PCBs were analysed by GC/MS/MS on GCQ or PolarisQ (Thermoquest). Ecotoxicity data on chlorococcal alga Desmodesmus subspicatus (Scenedesmus subspicatus) and luminescent bacteria Vibrio fischeri are presented here. All toxicity data as effective volume Vtox are expressed. The results show good treatment ability of the treatment plant and proved used system as an appropriate tool for efficiency assessment of treatment and/or decontamination processes.
1 - 3 - 2004
1 - 3 - 2004
-  M. Ciccotelli, S. Crippa and A. Colombo: “Bioindicators for toxicity assessment of effluents from a wastewater treatment plant”, Chemosphere, Vol. 37, (1998), pp. 2823–2832. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(98)00324-5[Crossref]
-  A.R. Fernández-Alba, L.H. Guil, G.D. López and Y. Christi: “Toxicity of pesticides in wastewater: a comparative assessment of rapid bioassays”, Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 426, (2001), pp. 289–301. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)00874-6[Crossref]
-  L.J. Fu, R.E. Stares and R.G. Jr. Stahy: “Assessing acute toxicities of pre and post treatment industrial wastewaters with Hydra attenuata: a comparative study of acute toxicity with the fathead minnows”, Phimephales promelas, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 13, (1994), pp. 563–569. [Crossref]
-  R. Grabic, J. Novák and V. Pacáková: “Optimization of a GC-MS/MS Method for the Analysis of PCDDs and PCDFs in Human and Fish Tissue”, Journal of High Resolution Chromatography, Vol. 23, (2000), pp. 595–599. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1521-4168(20001001)23:10<595::AID-JHRC595>3.0.CO;2-T[Crossref]
-  P. Grau and B.P. Da-Rin: “Management of toxicity effects in a large wastewater treatment plant”, Water Science and Technology, Vol. 36, (1997), pp. 1–8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1223(97)00397-1[Crossref]
-  J.N. Huckins, G.K. Manuweera, J.D. Petty, D. Mackay and J.A. Lebo: “Lipid Containing Semipermeable Membrane Devices for Monitoring Organic Contaminants in Water”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 27, (1993), pp. 2489–2496. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es00048a028[Crossref]
-  J.N. Huckins, J.D. Petty, C.E. Orazio, J.A. Lebo, R.C. Clark, V.L. Gibson, W.R. Gala and K.R. Echols: “Determination of Uptake Kinetics (Sampling Rates) by Lipid-Containing Semipermeable Membrane Devices (SPMDs) for Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Water”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 33, (1999), pp. 3918–3923. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es990440u[Crossref]
-  ISO 8692: 1989, “Water quality. Fresh water algal growth inhibition test with Scenedesmus subspicatus and Selenastrum capricornutum”.
-  ISO 11348: 1998, “Water quality. Determination of the inhibitory effect of water samples on the ligh emission of Vibrio fischeri (Luminiscent bacteria test)”.
-  B.T. Johnson, J.N. Huckins, J.D. Petty and R.C. Clark: “Collection and detection of liphophilic chemical contaminants in water, sediment, soil, and air-SPMD-TOX”, Environmental Toxicology, Vol. 15, (2000), pp. 248–252. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1522-7278(2000)15:3<248::AID-TOX10>3.0.CO;2-Q[Crossref]
-  A.M. Kathleen and R.W. Gale: “Investigation of Distribution of Organochlorine and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Compounds in the Lower Columbia River Using Semipermeable Membrane Devices”, In: Water-Resource Investigation Report, U.S. Geological Survey, Portland, Oregon, 1999, pp. 99–4051.
-  V. Kočí, M. Mlejnek and L. Kochánková: “Toxicological evaluation of exposed SPMD membranes”, Central European Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 1, (2003), pp. 28–34. http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/BF02479255[Crossref]
-  A. Kosmala, S. Charvet, M.C. Roger and B. Faessel: “Impact assessment of a wastewater treatment plant effluent using instream invertebrates and the Ceriodaphnia dubia chronic toxicity test”, Water Research, Vol. 33, (1999), pp. 266–278. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00176-6[Crossref]
-  J. Lukavský: “Microprocedure for standard marine algal bioassay (ISO 10253)”, Algological Studies, Vol. 101, (2001), pp. 137–147.
-  J.D. Petty, S.B. Jones and J.N. Huckins: “An approach for assessment of water quality using semipermeable membrane devices (SPMDs) and bioindicator tests”, Chemosphere, Vol. 41, (2000), pp. 311–321. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00499-3[Crossref]
-  H.F. Prest, L.A. Jacobson and M. Wilson: “Passive water sampling for polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons using lipid-containing semipermeably membrane devices (SPMDs): Application to contaminant residence times”, Chemosphere, Vol. 35, (1997), pp. 3047–3063. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(97)00263-4[Crossref]
-  A.L. Rantalainen, W.L. Cretney and M.G. Ikonomou: “Uptake rates of semipermeable membrane devices (SPMDs) for PCDDs, PCDFs and PCBs in water and sediment”, Chemosphere, Vol. 40, (1999), pp. 147–158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00220-9[Crossref]
-  V. Sládeček, A. Sládečková, V. Kočí and J. Ambrožová: “Bio-monitoring of impacts of wastewater treatment plant effluents on receiving streams”, In: International Water Association 2nd World Water Congress. Berlin (Germany), 15–19 October 2001, IWA CD file B1364.
-  L.I. Sweet, D.F. Travers and P.G. Meier: “Chronic toxicity evaluation of wastewater treatment plant effluents with bioluminescent bacteria: A comparison with invertebrates and fish”, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 16, (1997), pp. 2187–2189. http://dx.doi.org/10.1897/1551-5028(1997)016<2187:SCCTEO>2.3.CO;2[Crossref]
-  K.J. Zagorc and M. Cotman: “Impact assessment of industrial and municipal effluents on surface water. A case study”, Water Science and Technology, Vol. 34, (1996), pp. 141–145.
Publication order reference