Assessment of the Results of Surgical Treatment of Zenker’S Diverticulum in Own Material
Languages of publication
Zenker diverticulum (ZD) is the most common type of diverticula of the esophagus. Most often refers to men with a peak incidence in the seventh and eighth decade of life. In the majority diverticula remains asymptomatic and in patients with symptomatic course of the disease symptoms are often nonspecific. Aim of the study was to present the authors’ own experience in surgical treatment of Zenker diverticulum. Material and methods. In this paper we present an analysis of 31 patients with confirmed ZD treated surgically at the Clinic in 2004-2014. Patients were analyzed in terms of age, gender, clinical symptoms, diverticulum size, type of surgery, the time to return to the oral intake, hospital stay and perioperative complications. Results. 22 men and 9 women were enrolled it this study. The mean age of the patients was 64.8 (SD, 10.7; in the range of 28 to 82 years). 29 patients (93.5%) underwent resection of the diverticulum, while diverticulopexy was performed in two patients. In 25 (80.6%) cases stapler device was used, while in 4 (12.9%) resection was performed manually. The average size of resected diverticulum was 4.9 cm (SD, 1.5). Following the surgery in four patients (12.9%) complications were present. The average operating time was 118.7 minutes (SD, 42.2, in the range of 50 to 240 minutes). The mean length of hospital stay was 9.3 (SD, 3.3). Conclusions. Surgical treatment of ZD is associated with high effectiveness and low recurrence rate. Despite the advantages of endoscopic techniques, surgical treatment is characterized by one- stage procedure. The use of mechanical suture (stapler) significantly improves the operation, although on the basis of our own analysis there was no superiority revealed over hand sewn. Unquestionable adventage of classical technique is the opportunity to histopathological evaluation of resected diverticulum what is impossible to achieve in endoscopic techniques.
1 - 3 - 2015
3 - 6 - 2015
3 - 7 - 2015
- 1. Watemberg S, Landau O, Avrahami R: Zenker’s diverticulum: reappraisal. Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91: 1494-98.
- 2. Prisman E, Genden EM : Zenker diverticulum. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2013 Dec; 461101-11.
- 3. Ludlow A: A case of obstructed deglutition from a preternatural dilatation of and bag formed in, the pharynx. Med Obs Inq 1767; 3: 85.
- 4. Zenker F, von Ziemssen H: Krankheiten des Oesophagus. Leipzig, F.C. Vogel, 1877; 7: 1-87.
- 5. Leibowitz JM , Fundakowski CE , Abouyared M et al.: Surgical Techniques for Zenker’s Diverticulum: A Comparative Analysis: Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 15: 52-58.
- 6. Rizzetto C, Zaninotto G, Costantini M et al.: Zenker’s diverticula: feasibility of a tailored approach based on diverticulum size. J GastrointestSurg 2008; 12: 2057-64.
- 7. Klockars T, Sihvo E, Mäkitie A: Familial Zenker’s diverticulum. Acta Otolaryngol 2008; 128: 1034-36.
- 8. Onwugbufor MT, Obirieze AC, Ortega G et al.: Surgical management of esophageal diverticulum: a review of the Nationalwide Inpatient Sample database. J Surg Res 2013; 184: 120-25.
- 9. Collard JM , Otte JB, Kestens PJ: Endoscopic stapling technique of esophagodiverticulostomy for Zenker’s diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg 1993; 56: 573-76.
- 10. Martin-Hirsch DP, Newbegin CJ : Autosuture GIA gun: a new application in the treatment of hypopharyngeal diverticula. Laryngol Otol 1993; 107: 723-25.
- 11. van Overbeek JJ : Pathogenesis and methods of treatment of Zenker’s diverticulum. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2003; 112: 583-93.
- 12. Yip HT, Leonard R, Kendall KA: Cricopharyngealmyotomy normalizes the opening size of the upper esophageal sphincter in cricopharyngeal dysfunction. Laryngoscope 2006; 116: 93-96.
- 13. Skinner KA, Zuckerbraun L: Recurrent Zenker’s diverticulum: treatment with cricopharyngealmyotomy. Am Surg 1998; 64: 192-95.
- 14. Payne WS : The treatment of pharyngoesophageal diverticulum: the simple and complex. Hepatogastroenterology 1992; 39: 109-14.
- 15. Colombo-Benkmann M, Unruh V, Krieglstein C et al.: Cricopharyngealmyotomy in the treatment of Zenker’s diverticulum. J Am Coll Surg 2003; 196: 370-77.
- 16. Brace M, Taylor SM , Trites JR et al.: Endoscopic stapling versus external transcervical approach for the treatment of Zenker diverticulum. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 39: 102-06.
- 17. Mirza S,Dutt SN , Minhas SS et al: A retrospective review of pharyngeal pouch surgery in 56 patients. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2002; 84: 247-51.
- 18. Zaninotto G, Narne S, Costantini M et al.: Tailored approach to Zenker’s diverticula. Surg Endosc 2003; 17: 129-33.
- 19. Richtsmeier WJ : Endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: the staple-assisted approach. Am J Med 2003; 115(Suppl. 3A): 175S-178S.
- 20. Leong SC , Wilkie MD , Webb CJ : Endoscopic stapling of Zenker’s diverticulum: establishing national baselines for auditing clinical outcomes in the United Kingdom. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269: 1877-84.
- 21. Ozgursoy OB, Salassa JR et al.: Functional and manofluorographic outcomes after transoral endoscopic pharyngoesophagealdiverticulostomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 136: 463 67.
- 22. Yuan Y, Zhao YF, Hu Y et al.: Surgical Treatment of Zenker’s Diverticulum. Dig Surg 2013; 30: 207-18.
- 23. Chang CY , Payyapilli RJ , Scher RL et al.: Endoscopic staple diverticulostomy for Zenker’s diverticulum: review of literature and experience in 159 consecutive cases. Laryngoscope 2003; 113: 957-65.
- 24. Brangewitz M, Voigtländer T, Helfritz FA et al.: Endoscopic closure of esophageal intrathoracic leaks: stent versus endoscopic vacuum-assisted closure, a retrospective analysis. Endoscopy 2013; 45(6): 433-38.
- 25. Senderak F, Banasiewicz T: Endoscopic Sponge Application Tool /ESPA/. NPWT 2014; 1(2): 74-75.
- 26. Bradley PJ, Kochaar A, Quraishi MS : Pharyngeal pouch carcinoma: real or imaginary risks? Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1999; 108: 1027-32.
- 27. Bowdler DA, Stell PM: Carcinoma arising in posterior pharyngeal pulsion diverticulum (Zenker’s diverticulum). Br J Surg 1987 Jul; 74: 561-63.
- 28. Constantin A, Mates IN , Predescu D et al.: Principles of surgical treatment of Zenker diverticulum. J Med Life 2012; 5(1): 92-97.
- 29. Herbella FA, Dubecz A, Patti MG : Esophageal diverticula and cancer. Dis Esophagus 2012; 25(2): 153-58.
Publication order reference