δ37Cl of waters from the Akyatan Lagoon, Turkey
Languages of publication
We report the first δ37Cl data for surface waters of the Akyatan lagoon, Turkey, from 12 stations sampled over the period 2005 to 2006. The recorded variation of δ37Cl values is fairly small, from -0.4 to +0.6 ‰ vs. SMOC, though the environmental conditions were highly variable seasonally. The salinity of the studied waters varied from 2.8 to 95 g/L and the δD vs. δ18O plot significantly departures from the World Meteoric Water Line (WMWL) with a slope of 5.43±0.19. Chlorine isotopes indicate a weak positive correlation between δ37Cl and δD of water and its salinity. This may be due to mixing between seawater and distinct sources of freshwater. The small spread of obtained δ37Cl results demands enhanced precision of analysis and careful sample preparation.
1 - 3 - 2015
13 - 3 - 2015
- 1. References: Craig, H. (1961) Isotopic variations in meteoric waters. Science 133, 1702-1708.
- 2. Dansgaard, W. (1964) Stable isotopes in precipitation. Tellus 16, 436-468.
- 3. Davutluoglu O.I., Seckin G., Kalat D.G., Yilmaz T., Ersu C.B. (2010) Speciation and implications of heavy metal content in surface sediments of Akyatan lagoon - Turkey. Desalination 260, 189-210. [WoS]
- 4. Duane M.J., Al-Zamel A., Eastoe C.J. (2004) Stable isotope (chlorine, hydrogen and oxygen), geochemical and field evidence for continental fluid flow vectors in the Al-Khiran Sabkha (Kuwait), Journal of African Earth Sciences 40, 49-60.
- 5. Eggenkamp H. (2004) Chapter 28, in: P. de Groot (ed.) Handbook of Stable Isotopes, Elsevier.
- 6. Hałas S, Pelc A (2009) New isotope ratio mass spectrometric method of precise δ37Cl determinations. Rapid Comm. in Mass Spectrom. 23, 1061-1064. [WoS]
- 7. Kuleli T (2010) Quantitiative analysis of shoreline changes at the Mediterranean Coast in Turkey. Envir. Monitor. Assess 167, 387-397.
- 8. Lécuyer C., Bodergat A.-M., Martineau F., Fourel F., Gürbüz K. and Nazik A. (2012) Water sources, mixing and evaporation in the Akyatan lagoon, Turkey. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 115, 200-209. [WoS]
- 9. Lécuyer, C., Gardien, V., Rigaudier, T., Fourel, F., Martineau, F., Cros, A. (2009) Oxygen isotope fractionation and equilibration kinetics between CO2 and H2O as a function of salinity of aqueous solutions. Chemical Geology 264, 122-126. [WoS]
- 10. MacPherson N, Cittolin G, Cook H, Besiktepe S. (1998) The farming of sea bass, sea bream, and shrimp in Iskenderun Bay, Turkey. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) report. Available as a PDF file at the following URL : http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/S8479E/S8479E00.htm
- 11. Martineau, F., Fourel, F., Bodergat, A.-M., Lécuyer, C. (2012) D/H equilibrium fractionation between H2O and H2 as a function of the salinity of aqueous solutions. Chemical Geology 291, 236-240. [WoS]
- 12. Meybeck M., Ragu A. (1996) River discharges to the oceans: an assessment of suspended, major ions and nutrients. GEMS/EAP, 245 pp.
- 13. Nazik A., Evans G., Gürbüz K. (1999) Sedimentology and palaeontology with special reference to the ostracoda fauna of Akyatan lagoon (Adana - SE Turkey). Geosound 35, 127-147.
- 14. Pelc A., Hałas S. (2008) Negative ion source for chlorine isotope ratio measurements. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 22, 3977-3982. [WoS]
- 15. Wu J., Satake H. (2006) Purification of CH3Cl from CH3I using cold trap with sealed 2,2,4-trimethylpentane for δ37Cl measurements, Analytica Chim. Acta 555, 41-46.
- 16. Xiao Y.K., Zhang C.G. (1992) High precision of isotopic measurement of chlorine by thermal ionization mass spectrometry of theCs2Cl+ ion. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. Ion Proc. 116, 183-192.[Crossref]
Publication order reference