Triangular 3D Laser Scanning in Underwater Photogrammetry
Languages of publication
The use of triangular 3D laser scanning may significantly enhance the visual inspection of underwater objects. In these days of high demand for accurate information, exclusively photographic documentation is not enough, as it is geometrically flawed.The authors of this article are trying to present the rudiments of laser scanning, a modern means of measuring, which is reliable, relatively easy to use and works in accordance with basic good measurement practices. With the use of a laser beam, a point model of the measured object is generated with a resolution that is adapted to the requirements. A well performed scan will cover the entire surface of the measured object with no information gaps, as is often the case with photographic documentation which focuses solely on key details. Photographic documentation is now already being replaced by Structure from Motion technology, the latter being an alternative to laser scanning, which creates a textured 3D model from the collection of photographs of the object with similar accuracy, but with more time required.
1 - 9 - 2015
22 - 7 - 2015
30 - 12 - 2015
5 - 7 - 2015
- Gdansk University of Technology, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Geodesy, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gdansk University of Technology, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Geodesy, Poland
- 1. Blueview, Teledyne: http://www.blueview.com/assets/Uploads/documents/BlueView-Spool-Piece-Metrology-WP12001-Rev-.pdf. access: 15/09/2015
- 2. 2gRobotics: http://www.2grobotics.com/spool-metrology-with-2g-robotics-uls-500/. access: 15/09/2015
- 3. Olejnik A.: Analiza systemów wizyjnych pod kątem ich zastosowania w zobrazowaniu przestrzennym obiektów podwodnych. [Analysis of visual systems for three-dimensional illustrating of underwater objects.] Polish Hyperbaric Research Vol. 15 No 2, 2006, pp. 31-65.
- 4. Olszański, R., Siermontowski, P.: ABC zdrowia nurka. [Diver's health ABC] Głogów, 2002.
- 5. RP, M.S.: Underwater Work Act of 17 October 2003 - a consolidated text 2014, pp. 1-15.
- 6. Olejnik A.: Problematyka wizyjnej diagnostyki obiektów podwodnych. [Problems of visual diagnostics of underwater objects] Polish Hyperbaric Research Vol. 33 No 4, 2010, pp. 43-62.
- 7. Society, M.T.: ROV Applications - Design - Laser Line Scanning. http://www.rov.org/rov_design_scanners.cfm. dostęp: 14/11/2014.
- 8. Form, M.A.: Scanner. https://matterandform.net/scanner. access: 15/11/2014.
- 9. openMVG: http://openmvg.readthedocs.org/en/latest/openMVG/sfm/sfm. access: 20/09/2015
- 10. Ocean Discovery: http://www.oceandiscovery.org/sites/default/files/1271447_10200795445913005_1559467036_o.jpg. access: 13/09/2015
Publication order reference