The Relationship between Organizational Culture and Innovative Work Behavior for Sports Services in Tourism Enterprises
Languages of publication
The innovative behavior of individuals in the workplace is the foundation of any high-performance organization, and thus a study on the factors that motivate or enable individuals’ innovative behavior is critical (Scott, & Bruce, 1994). Therefore, the aim of this research was to find the relationship between organizational culture and innovative work behavior (IWB) in tourism enterprises that market sports services. Considering the fact that IWB is crucial for tourism enterprises, exploring the factors that influence IWB could be beneficial. Correlation analysis revealed that IWB was found to be significantly correlating with cooperativeness (r=0.442, p<0.05), innovativeness (r=0.510, p<0.05), consistency (r=0.522, p<0.05), and effectiveness (r=0.554, p<0.05). Additionally, stepwise regression analysis, which was conducted to discover whether organizational culture predicts IWB, showed a significant model: F(2-131)=33.775, p<0.05. The model explained 33% of the variance in IWB (Adjusted R2=0.33). In general, our findings suggest that there is a relationship between organizational culture and IWB and that organizational culture significantly predicts IWB. As IWB is crucial for the enhanced performance and success of any organization, organizational culture should be organized in order to encourage employees in terms of IWB.
1 - 3 - 2016
15 - 2 - 2015
25 - 12 - 2015
5 - 3 - 2016
- Advi Alpay, G., Bodur, M., Yilmaz, C., & Buyukbalci, P. (2012). How does innovativeness yield superior firm performance? The role of marketing effectiveness. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 14(1), 107-128. DOI:10.5172/impp.2012.14.1.107.[Crossref]
- Amabile, T.M. (1988). A model of creativity and innovation in organizations. Research in Organizational Behaviour, 10, 123-167.
- Atay, K. (2001). Okul kulturu /The culture of school/. Kuramdan Uygulamaya Egitim Yonetimi /Educational administration: Theory and Practice/, 23, 179-191.
- Axtell, C.M., Holman, D.J., Unsworth, K., Wall, T.D., Waterson, P., & Harrington, E. (2000). Shop-floor innovation: Facilitating the suggestion and implementation of ideas. Journal of Occupational Organizational Psychology, 73(3), 265-285. DOI: 10.1348/096317900167029.[Crossref]
- Balkin, D.B., Markman, G.D., & Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (2000). Is CEO pay in high-technology firms related to innovation? Academy of Management Journal, 43(6), 1118-1129. DOI: 10.2307/1556340.[Crossref]
- Barnard, C. (1994). The functions of the executive. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Bjornali, E.S., & Storen, L.A. (2012). Examining competence factors that encourage innovative behaviour by European higher education graduate professionals. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 19(3), 402-423. DOI: 10.1108/14626001211250135.[Crossref]
- Calantone, R.J., Cavusgil, S.T., & Zhao, Y. (2002). Learning orientation, firm innovation capability, and firm performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 31(6), 515-524. DOI: 10.1016/S0019-8501(01)00203-6.[Crossref]
- Can, Y., Soyer, F., & Can, S. (1995). Genel İsletmecilik Bilgisi ve Spor İsletmeciligine Giris /General Administrative Science and Administrative of Sport/. Kayseri: Ders Notları /Publication of Erciyes University/ Carmeli, A., Meitar, R., & Weisberg, J. (2006). Self-leadership skills and innovative behavior at work. International Journal of Manpower, 27(1), 75-90. DOI: 10.1108/01437720610652853.[Crossref]
- Cavus, M.F., & Akgemci, T. (2008). İsletmelerde personel guclendirmenin orgutsel yaratıcılık ve yenilikcilige etkisi: İmalat sanayiinde bir arastırma /The effect of employee empowerment on organizational creativity and innovativeness: A research in the manufacturing industry/. Selcuk Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi /Selcuk University the Journal of Institute of Social Science/, 20, 229-244.
- Chang, S.E. & Lin, C.S. (2007). Exploring organizational culture for information security management. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 107(3), 438-458. DOI: 10.1108/02635570710734316.[Crossref]
- Chen, J.K., & Chen, I.S. (2013). Don’t worry, I’m with you: Can visionary leadership release neurotic employees for more perceived innovative interactions? Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 15(2), 215-223. DOI:10.5172/impp.2013.15.2.215.[Crossref]
- Chen, S.C., Wu, M.C., & Chen, C.H. (2010). Employee’s personality traits, work motivation and innovative behaviour in marine tourism industry. Journal of Service Science & Management, 3(2), 198-205. DOI: 10.4236/jssm.2010.32024.[Crossref]
- Chen, Z.X., & Aryee, S. (2007). Delegation and employee work outcomes: An examination of the cultural context of mediating processes in China. Academy of Management Journal, 50(1), 226-238. DOI: 10.2307/20159849.[Crossref]
- Chin, W.H., Huang, L.C., & Yang, T.J. (2011). Organizational culture and performance: The mediating roles of innovation capacity. African Journal of Business Management, 5(21), 8500-8510. DOI:10.12988/ces.2014.4219.[Crossref]
- Deci, E.L., & Ryan, R.M. (2000). The “what” and “why” of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychological Inquiry, 11(4), 227-268. DOI:10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_01.[Crossref]
- Deci, E.L., Ryan, R.M., & Williams, G.C. (1996). Need satisfaction and the self-regulation of learning. Learning and Individual Differences, 8(3), 165-183. DOI: 10.1016/S1041-6080(96)90013-8.[Crossref]
- Dess, G.G., & Pickens, J.C. (2000). Changing roles: Leadership in the 21st century. Organizational Dynamics, 28(3), 18-34. DOI: 10.1016/S0090-2616(00)88447-8.[Crossref]
- Dincer, O. (1992). Stratejik Yonetim ve Isletme Politikasi /Strategic Management and Business Policy/. Istanbul: Alfa Publications.
- Dorenbosch, L., Van Engen, M.L., & Verhagen, M. (2005). On-the-job innovation: The impact of job design and human resource management through production ownership. Creativity & Innovation Management, 14(2), 129-141. DOI: 10.1111/j.1476-8691.2005.00333.x.[Crossref]
- Drazin, R., & Schoonhoven, C.B. (1996). Community, population, and organizational effects on innovation: A multilevel perspective. Academy of Management Journal, 39(5), 1065-1083.[Crossref]
- Farr, J., & Ford, C. (1990). Individual innovation. In M. West, & J. Farr (Eds.), Innovation and creativity at work: Psychological and Organizational Strategies, (pp. 63-80). Chichester: Wiley.
- Fayed, H., & Fletcher, J. (2002). Globalization of economic activity: Issues for tourism. Tourism Economics, 8(2), 207-230. DOI: 10.5367/000000002101298070.[Crossref]
- Gao, Q., & Zhang, C. (2011). Analysis of innovation capability of 125 agricultural high-tech enterprises in China. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 13(3), 278-290. DOI:10.5172/impp.2011.13.3.278.[Crossref]
- Guclu, N. (2003). Orgut kulturu /Organizational Culture/. Kırgızistan Manas Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi /Kırgızistan Manas University the Journal of Institute of Social Science/, 6, 147-159.
- Gumusluoglu, L., & Ilsev, A. (2009). Transformational leadership, creativity, and organizational innovation. Journal of Business Research, 62(4), 461-473. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.07.032. [Crossref]
- Janssen, O. (2001). Fairness perceptions as a moderator in the curvilinear relationships between job demands, and job performance and job satisfaction. Academy of Management Journal, 44(5), 1039-1050. DOI: 10.2307/3069447.[Crossref]
- Janssen, O. (2003). Innovative behaviour and job involvement at the price of conflict and less satisfactory relations with co-workers. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 76(3), 347-364. DOI: 10.1348/096317903769647210.[Crossref]
- Janssen, O. (2005). The joint impact of perceived influence and supervisor supportiveness on employee innovative behaviour. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 78(4), 573-580. DOI: 10.1348/096317905X25823.[Crossref]
- Janssen, O., Van De Vliert, E., & West, M. (2004). The bright and dark sides of individual and group innovation: A special issue introduction. Jurnal of Organizational Behaviour, 25(2), 129-145. DOI: 10.1002/job.242.[Crossref]
- Jong, J.P.J., & Hartog, D.N.D. (2007). How leaders influence employees’ innovative behaviour. European Journal of Innovation Management, 10(1), 41-64. DOI: 10.1108/14601060710720546.[Crossref]
- Jong, J.P.J., & Hartog, D.N.D. (2010). Measuring innovative work behaviour. Creativity and Innovation Management, 19(1), 23-36. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8691.2010.00547.x.[Crossref]
- Kao, J. (1989). Entrepreneurship, creativity and organization. UK: Prentice Hall.
- Kessel, M., Weber, H.H., & Kratzer, J. (2012). Innovative work behavior in healthcare: The benefit of operational guidelines in the treatment of rare diseases. Health Policy, 105(2-3), 146-153. DOI: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2012.02.010.[Crossref]
- Luke, B., Verreynne, M., & Kearins, K. (2010). Innovative and entrepreneurial activity in the public sector: The changing face of public sector institutions. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 12(2), 138-153. DOI: 10.5172/impp.12.2.138.[Crossref]
- March, J.G., & Simon, H.A. (1958). Organizations. New York: John Wiley.
- Maslow, A.H. (1970). Motivation and personality. New York: Harper.
- Mehra, K., & Joshi, K. (2010). The enabling role of the public sector in innovation: A case study of drug development in India. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 12(2), 227-237. DOI: 10.5172/impp.12.2.227.[Crossref]
- Messmann, G., & Mulder, R. (2011). Innovative work behaviour in vocational colleges: Understanding how and why innovations are developed. Vocations and Learning, 4(1), 63-84. DOI: 10.1007/s12186-010-9049-y.[Crossref]
- Mete, G. (2007). Orgutsel Ogrenme ve Yenilikci Is Davranisi /Organizational Learning and Innovative Work Behaviour/. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Gebze High Technology Institute. Kocaeli, Turkey.
- Murray, H.A. (1938). Explorations in personality. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Naranjo-Valencia, J.C., Jiménez-Jiménez, D., & Sanz-Valle, R. (2011). Innovation or imitation? The role of organizational culture. Management Decision, 49(1), 55-72. DOI: 10.1108/00251741111094437.[Crossref]
- Ojedokun, O. (2012). Role of perceived fair interpersonal treatment and organization-based self-esteem in innovative work behavior in a Nigerian bank. Psychological Thought, 5(2), 124-140. DOI: 10.5964/psyct.v5i2.33.[Crossref]
- Oldham, G.R., & Cummings, A. (1996). Employee creativity: Personal and contextual factors at work. Academy of Management Journal, 39(3), 607-634. DOI: 10.2307/256657.[Crossref]
- Parjanen, S.M., Hennala, L., & Laakso, S.K. (2012). Brokerage functions in a virtual idea generation platform: Possibilities for collective creativity? Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 14(3), 363-374. DOI: 10.5172/impp.2012.14.3.363.[Crossref]
- Petuskiene, E., & Glinskiene, R. (2011). Entrepreneurship as the basic element for the successful employment of benchmarking and business innovation. Engineering Economics, 22(1), 69-77. DOI:10.5755/j01.ee.22.1.220.[Crossref]
- Ramamoorthy, N., Flood, P.C., Slattery, T., & Sardessai, R. (2005). Determinants of innovative work behaviour: Development and test of an integrated model. Creativity & Innovation Management, 14(2), 142-150. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8691.2005.00334.x.[Crossref]
- Reuvers, M., Van Engen, M.L., Vinkenburg, C., & Wilson-Evered, E. (2008). Transformational leadership and innovative work behaviour: Exploring the relevance of gender differences. Creativity and Innovation Management, 17(3), 227-244. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8691.2008.00487.x.[Crossref]
- Sanz-Valle, R., Naranjo-Valencia, J.C., Jiménez-Jiménez, D., & Perez-Caballero, L. (2011). Linking organizational learning with technical innovation and organizational culture. Journal of Knowledge Management, 15(6), 997-1015. DOI: 10.1108/13673271111179334. [Crossref]
- Sarı, I., Soyer, F., & Yigiter, K. (2012). The relationship among sports coaches’ perceived leadership behaviours, athletes’ communication skills and satisfaction of the basic psychological needs. International Journal of Academic Research, 4(1), 112-119.
- Schein, E.H. (1980). Organizational psychology (3rd ed.). New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Scott, S.G., & Bruce, R.A. (1994). Determinants of innovative behavior: A path model of individual innovation in the workplace. Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), 580-607. DOI: 10.2307/256701.[Crossref]
- Shih, H., & Susanto, E. (2011). Is innovative behavior really good for the firm? Innovative work behavior, conflict with coworkers and turnover intention: Moderating roles of perceived distributive fairness. International Journal of Conflict Management, 22(2), 111-130. DOI: 10.1108/10444061111126666.[Crossref]
- Svagzdiene, B., Jasinskas, E., Fominiene, V.B., & Mikalauskas, R. (2013). The Situation of learning and prospects for improvement in a tourism organization. Engineering Economics, 24(2), 126-134. DOI: 10.5755/j01.ee.24.2.1386.[Crossref]
- Uzkurt, C., & Sen, R. (2012). The effects of organizational culture and organizational innovation on marketing innovation: A research on carbonated beverage industry. Anadolu University Journal of Social Sciences, 12(3), 27-50.
- Utterback, J.M. (1994). Mastering the dynamics of innovation. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Walumbwa, F.O., Cropanzano, R., & Hartnell, C.A. (2009). Organizational justice, voluntary learning behavior, and job performance: A test of the mediating effects of identification and leader-member exchange. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30(8), 1103-1126. DOI: 10.1002/job.611.[Crossref]
- West, M.A. (2002). Sparkling fountains or stagnant ponds: An integrative model of creativity and innovation implementation in work groups. Applied Psychology: International Review, 51(3), 355-387. DOI: 10.1111/1464-0597.00951.[Crossref]
- West, M.A., & Anderson, N.R. (1996). Innovation in top management teams. Journal of Applied Psychology, 81(6), 680-693. DOI: 10.1037/0021-9010.81.6.680.[Crossref]
- Xin, C., & Shi, C. (2007). Correlative relationship of learning-oriented organizational innovation and technological innovation in Chinese high-tech manufacturing firms. In ICNC ‘07 Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Natural Computation, 24-27 August 2007 (pp. 543-549). Haikou, Hainan, China: IEEE Xplore. DOI: 10.1109/ICNC.2007.320.[Crossref]
- Yang, J.T. (2007). Knowledge sharing: Investigating appropriate leadership roles and collaborative culture. Tourism Management, 28(2), 530-543. DOI: 10.1016/j.tourman.2006.08.006.[Crossref]
- Yang, J.T., & Wan, C.S. (2004). Advancing organizational effectiveness and knowledge management implementation. Tourism Management, 25(5), 593-601. DOI: 10.1016/j.tourman.2003.08.002.[Crossref]
- Zieba, M., & Zieba, K. (2014). Knowledge management critical success factors and the innovativeness of KIBS companies. Engineering Economics, 25(4), 458-465. DOI: 10.5755/j01.ee.25.4.6494.[Crossref]
- Zukauskaite, E. (2012). Innovation in cultural industries: The role of university links. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, 14(3), 404-415. DOI:10.5172/impp.2012.14.3.404. [Crossref]
Publication order reference