Human Resource Management in Sports: A Critical Review of its Importance and Pertaining Issues
Languages of publication
This paper will illustrate the meaning and importance of human resource management (HRM), human resource planning, and strategic human resource management, which are critically important for an organization’s effectiveness and must be effectively managed (Doherty, 1998). This study used the literature review method to acquire its final results. The relevant HRM literature review was done according to the purpose of the study. It used the purposive random sample method for selecting relevant literature. This study shows the current economic environment in the sports industry; the second part of the study critically analyzes the value of the strategic management of employees for the effective and efficient operation of sports organizations. It also critically evaluates human resource planning and other pertinent issues in terms of legislation, recruitment, selection, training, induction, and reward management from different international examples in sports management. Over the past few decades, increasing competition, globalization, and continuous changes in the market and in technology have emphasized the need to rethink the management of the organization and of human resources for the sake of overcoming significant challenges (Taylor et al., 2006). Therefore, managers should use strategic human resource management to overcome significant issues and to form well-planned strategies so that the organization may succeed.
1 - 3 - 2016
10 - 2 - 2016
23 - 12 - 2015
5 - 3 - 2016
- Aisbett, L., & Hoye, R. (2015). Human resource management practices to support sport event volunteers. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 53(3), 351-369. DOI 10.1111/1744-7941.12062[Crossref]
- Allison, M. (2001). Sports clubs in Scotland. Sportscotland. Retrieved November 22, 2015, from http://www.gov.scot/resource/doc/145971/0038194.pdf
- Armstrong, M. (2006). Strategic human resource management: A guide to action (3rd ed.). London: Kogan Page.
- Armstrong, M., & Taylor, S. (2014a). Armstrong’s handbook of human resource management practice (13th ed.). London: Kogan Page.
- Bauer, H.H., Sauer, N.E., & Schmitt, P. (2005) Customer-based brand equity in the team sport industry: Operationalization and impact of economic success of sport teams. European Journal of Marketing, 39(5), 496-513. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560510590683[Crossref]
- Beardwell, J., & Claydon, T. (2007). Human resource management: A contemporary approach (5th ed.). London: Pearson Education.
- Bloisi, W. (2007). Human resource management. Berkshire: McGraw Hill Education.
- Bohlmann, H.R., & van Heerden, J. (2005). The impact of hosting a major sport event on the South African economy. Retrieved November 22, 2015, from http://archivedpublicwebsite.up.ac.za/UserFiles/WP-9.pdf
- Chelladurai, P. (2006a). Human resource management in sport and recreation (2nd ed.). Champaign: Human Kinetics.
- Chelladurai, P., & Madella, A. (2006b). Human resource management in Olympic sport organizations. Leeds: Human Kinetics.
- Collings, D.G., & Mellahi, K. (2009). Strategic talent management: A review and research agenda. Human Resource Management Review, 19(4), 304-313.[Crossref]
- Cuskelly, G., Taylor, T., Hoye, R., & Darcy, S. (2006). Volunteer management practices and volunteer retention: A human resource management approach. Sport Management Review, 9(2), 141-163.[Crossref]
- Dessler, G. (2008). Human resource management (11th ed.). London: Pearson Education Ltd.
- Doherty, A.J. (1998). Managing our human resources: A review of organisational behaviour in sport. Sport Management Review, 1(1), 1-24.[Crossref]
- Gerrard, B. (1999). Team sports as a free‐market commodity. New Political Economy, 4(2), 273-278.[Crossref]
- Hanlon, C., & Cuskelly, G. (2002). Pulsating major sport event organizations: A framework for inducting managerial personnel. Event Management, 7(4), 231-243. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3727/152599502108751622[Crossref]
- Harel, G.H., & Tzafrir, S.S. (1999). The effect of human resource management practices on the perceptions of organizational and market performance of the firm. Human Resource Management, 38(3), 185-199. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-050X(199923)38:3<185::AID-HRM2>3.0.CO;2-Y[Crossref]
- Hoye, R., Smith, A., Nicholson, M., Stewart, B., & Westerbeek, H. (2009). Sport management principles and applications (2nd ed.). Oxford: Elsevier Ltd.
- Khasawneh, S. (2011). Human capital planning in higher education institutions: A strategic human resource development. International Journal of Educational Management, 25(6), 534-544. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09513541111159040[Crossref]
- Kunle Akingbola (2013). Contingency, fit and flexibility of HRM in nonprofit organizations. Employee Relations, 35(5), 479-494.[WoS][Crossref]
- Leopold, J., & Harris, L. (2009). The strategic managing of human resources (2nd ed.). Essex: Pearson Education.
- Lepak, D.P., Liao, H., Chung, Y., & Harden, E.E. (2006). A conceptual review of human resource management systems in strategic human resource management research. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 25(1), 217-271.[WoS]
- McMahon-Beattie, U., & Yeoman, I. (2004). Sport and leisure operations management. London: Cengage Learning EMEA.
- Misener, K., & Doherty, A. (2009). A case study of organizational capacity in non-profit community sport. Journal of Sport Management, 23(4), 457-482.
- Moore, M.E., & Konrad, A.M. (2010). A reflection of the contributions of “Women in sport management: Advancing the representation through HRM structures”. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 25(2), 100-103. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17542411011026276[Crossref]
- Reilly, P. (1996). Human resource planning: An introduction. Retrieved November 22, 2015, from http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/system/files/resources/files/312.pdf
- Selemani, M.A., Khairuzzaman, W., Zaleha, W.I.S., Rasid, A., & Andrew, R.D. (2014). The impact of human resource management practices on performance: Evidence from a public university. The TQM Journal, 26(2), 125-142. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/TQM-10-2011-0062[Crossref]
- Taylor, T., & McGraw, P. (2006). Exploring human resource management practices in nonprofit sport organizations. Sport Management Review, 9(3), 229-251.[Crossref][WoS]
- Taylor, T., Doherty, A., & McGraw, P. (2008). Managing people in sport organizations: A strategic human resource management perspective. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Tohidi, H., & Jabbari, M.M. (2012). The aspects of empowerment of human resources. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 31(12), 829-833. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.12.150[Crossref]
- Unlua, C., Serarslan, M.Z., Yamaner, F., & Sahin, S. (2012a). Comparing of human resources management sports enterprises and the other service enterprises. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 46(12), 4808-4812. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.339[Crossref]
- Wicker, P., & Breuer, C. (2013a). Understanding the importance of organizational resources to explain organizational problems: Evidence from nonprofit sport clubs in Germany. International Society for Third-Sector Research, 24(2), 461-484. DOI: 10.1007/s11266-012-9272-2 [Crossref]
Publication order reference