Application of alanine dosimetry in dose assessment for ocular melanoma patients undergoing proton radiotherapy – preliminary results
Languages of publication
Basing on alanine solid state/electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) dosimetry, a supplementary method of cumulatively recording the therapeutic dose received by ocular cancer patients undergoing fractionated proton radiotherapy is proposed. By applying alanine dosimetry during the delivery of consecutive fractions, the dose received within each fraction can be read out by EPR spectrometry and a final permanent cumulative record of the total dose delivered obtained. The dose response of the alanine detector was found to be practically independent on its position within the extended proton Bragg peak region. Dose measurements based on entrance dose recorded in proton beams individually formed for each patient are presented. The described method will be applied as a complementary Quality Assurance procedure for patients undergoing proton radiotherapy at the Institute of Nuclear Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow, Poland (IFJ PAN).
1 - 9 - 2015
20 - 5 - 2015
25 - 9 - 2015
29 - 9 - 2014
- 1. ICRU. (2007). Prescribing, recording, and reporting proton-beam therapy. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements, Bethesda, Maryland. (ICRU Report 78).
- 2. Ahlers, F. J., & Schneider, C. C. J. (1991). Alanine ESR dosimetry: an assessment of peak-to-peak evaluation. Radiat. Prot. Dosim., 37, 117-122.
- 3. Schauer, D. A., Iwasaki, A., Romanyukha, A. A., Swartz, H. M., & Onori, S. (2006). Electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) in medical dosimetry. Radiat. Meas., 41(Suppl.), S117-S123.[Crossref]
- 4. Michalec, B., Mierzwińska, G., Sowa, U., Ptaszkiewicz, M., Nowak, T., & Swakoń, J. (2012). Alanine dosimetry of 60 MeV proton beam - preliminary results. Nukleonika, 57, 503-506.
- 5. Mierzwinska, G., Michalec, B., Oglodek, I., Petelenz, B., & Waligorski, M. P. R. (2014). Alanine/EPR dosimetry as a potential tool for quality assurance in proton beam radiotherapy. Rom. Rep. Phys., 66, 54-60.
- 6. International Standard ISO/WD 15566.1. (1998). Practice for use of alanine-EPR dosimetry system (1998). International Organization of Standardization.
- 7. Michalec, B., Swakon, J., Sowa, U., Ptaszkiewicz, M., Cywicka-Jakiel, T., & Olko, P. (2010). Proton radiotherapy facility for ocular tumours at the IFJ PAN in Krakow, Poland. Appl. Radiat. Isot., 68, 738-742.[Crossref][WoS]
- 8. Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy. (2000). Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency. (Technical Reports Series no. 398).
- 9. ICRU. (2006). Measurement quality assurance for ionizing radiation dosimetry. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements, Bethesda, Maryland. (ICRU Report 76).
- 10. Podgorsak, E. B. (Ed.). (2005). Radiation oncology physics: a handbook for teachers and students. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency
Publication order reference