EPR examination of free radicals thermally formed in vaselinum flavum
Languages of publication
The popular pharmaceutical base used in pharmacy – vaselinum flavum – was studied by an X-band (9.3 GHz) EPR spectrometer in the range of microwave power of 2.2–70 mW. The samples were sterilized in hot air oven at temperatures: 160°C (120 min), 170°C (60 min), and 180°C (30 min). The aim of this work was to determine properties and free radical concentrations in vaselinum flavum thermally sterilized at different conditions. The changes in free radical system in vaselinum flavum during storage were analyzed. Free radicals were found in all the heated samples. The lowest free radical concentration was obtained for vaselinum flavum heated at 180°C for 30 min; so these parameters are proposed for the thermal sterilization of this pharmaceutical base. Interactions with oxygen decreased free radical concentration in vaselinum flavum during storage. Strong quenching of free radicals in vaselinum flavum was observed after 2 days for the samples sterilized at temperatures 160 and 180°C. Such an effect for vaselinum flavum heated at temperature 170°C was observed later, 13 days after sterilization. Fast spin-lattice relaxation processes exist in thermally sterilized vaselinum flavum. The EPR lines of heated vaselinum flavum were homogeneously broadened. EPR spectroscopy and its use for examining the thermal sterilization process in pharmacy was confirmed.
1 - 7 - 2015
17 - 9 - 2014
30 - 1 - 2015
6 - 8 - 2015
- Department of Biophysics, School of Pharmacy with the Division of Laboratory Medicine in Sosnowiec, Medical University of Silesia in Katowice, 8 Jedności Str., 41-200 Sosnowiec, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Biophysics, School of Pharmacy with the Division of Laboratory Medicine in Sosnowiec, Medical University of Silesia in Katowice, 8 Jedności Str., 41-200 Sosnowiec, Poland
- 1. Janicki, S., Fiebig, A., & Sznitowska, M. (2008). Farmacja stosowana. Podręcznik dla studentów farmacji, 4th ed. Warsaw: PZWL.
- 2. Polish Pharmacopoeia edition IX. (2011). Warsaw: PTFarm (in Polish).
- 3. PN-EN 556, 2005. Sterilization of medical devices. Requirement for medical devices to be sterile. Pt. 1: Requirements for terminally sterilized medical devices; PN-EN 556, 2005. Sterilization of medical devices. Requirement for medical devices to be sterile. Pt. 2: Requirements for medical devices manufactured under aseptic conditions. Warsaw: Polish Committee for Standardization, 2002 (in Polish).
- 4. Bartosz, G. (2008). Druga twarz tlenu. Wolne rodniki w przyrodzie. Warsaw: PWN.
- 5. Jachowicz, R. (Ed.). (2008). Receptura apteczna. Podręcznik dla studentów farmacji, 2nd ed. Warsaw: PZWL.
- 6. Krówczyński, L., & Jachowicz, R. (2000). Ćwiczenia z receptury. Krakow: Jagiellonian University.
- 7. Stankowski, J., & Hilczer, W. (2005). Wstęp do spektroskopii rezonansów magnetycznych. Warsaw: PWN.
- 8. Wertz, J. E., & Bolton, J. R. (1986). Electron spin resonance: Elementary theory and practical application. New York: Chapman and Hall.
- 9. Skowrońska, A., Wojciechowski, M., Ramos, P., Pilawa, B., & Kruk, D. (2012). ESR studies of paramagnetic centers in pharmaceutical materials – cefaclor and clarithromycin as an example. Acta Phys. Pol. A, 121(2), 514–517.
- 10. Ramos, P., Pilawa, B., & Adamski, M. (2014). Application of EPR spectroscopy for examination of thermally formed free radicals in drotaverine. Ann. Acad. Medicae Silesiensis, 68(1), 28–37 (in Polish).
- 11. Ramos, P., Pilawa, B., Krztoń, A., & Liszka, B. (2012). Free radicals in the thermally sterilized aminoglycoside antibiotics. Pharm. Anal. Acta, 3(9), 1–13.
- 12. Ramos, P., & Pilawa, B. (2009). Effect of temperature and time of thermal sterilization on formation of free radicals in isosorbide dinitrate. Farmaceutyczny Przegląd Naukowy, 7(5), 28–33 (in Polish).
- 13. Ramos, P., Pepliński, P., & Pilawa, B. (2009). Free radicals in thermally sterilized verapamil. Eng. Biomat., 12(89/91), 162–164.
- 14. Ramos, P., & Pilawa, B. (2010). The EPR examination of free radicals formation in thermally sterilized β-lactam antibiotics. Curr. Top. Biophys., 33, 183–187.
- 15. Ramos, P., Pilawa, B., & Bernaś, M. (2010). Effect of storage time on microwave saturation of EPR spectra of thermally sterilized streptomycin and its practical applications. J. Med. Inform. Technol., 15, 185–191.
- 16. Ramos, P., Pilawa, B., & Kawka, M. (2009). Formation of free radicals during thermal decomposition of isosorbide mononitrate. Eng. Biomat., 12(89/91), 156–159.
Publication order reference