Abnormal right hepatic artery injury resulting in right hepatic atrophy: diagnosed by laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Languages of publication
An intact hepatic artery is the gateway to successful hepato-biliary surgery. Introduction of laproscopic cholecystectomy (LC) has stimulated a renewed interest in the anatomy of hepatic artery. In this case report we have highlighted importance of variations of right hepatic artery in terms of origin and course We present a rare asymptomatic case of liver atrophy due to an intraoperative lesion of right hepatic artery. We also performed a literature review about surgical vascular lesions and tried to confirm the right concept behind “non trivial procedure” of the LC.
1 - 1 - 2015
17 - 12 - 2015
27 - 10 - 2015
4 - 11 - 2015
-  Covey AM, Brody LA, Maluccio MA, Getrajdman GI, Brown KT. Variant hepatic arterial anatomy revisited: digital subtraction angiography performed in 600 patients. Radiology 2002; 224:542-7.
-  Prodosito D, Loinaz Segurola C, Garcìa Garcìa I, Jimènez C, Gonzales Pinto I, Gomez Sanz R et al. Role of anatomic variations and methods of hepatic artery reconstruction in the incidence of thrombosis following liver transplantation. Ann Ital Chir 2001;72(3):303-14; discussion 314-5. Article in Italian.
-  Hlaing KP, Othman F. Complex pattern of a variant hepatic artery. Singapore Med J 2012;53:e186-8.
-  Way LW, Stewart L, Gantert W, Liu K, Lee CM, Whang K et al. Causes and prevention of laparoscopic bile duct injuries: An analysis of 252 cases from a human factors and cognitive psychology perspective. Ann Surg 2003;237: 460-69.
-  Scott-Conner CE1, Hall TJ. Variant arterial anatomy in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Am J Surg 1992;163:590-2.
-  Deziel DJ, Millikan KW, Economou SG, Doolas A, Ko ST, Airan MC. Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a national survey of 4292 hospitals and an analysis of 77604 cases. Am J Surg 1993;165:9-14.
-  Bacha A, Stieber AC, Galloway JR, Hunter JG. Non-biliary complication of laparscopic cholecystectomy. The Lancet 344:896-7.
-  Strasberg SM, Hertl M, Soper N. An analysis of the problem of biliary injury during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. J Am Coll Surg 1995;180:101-25.
-  Russell JC, Walsh SJ, Mattie AS, Lynch JT. Bile duct injuries, 1989-1993. A statewide experience. Connecticut laparoscopic cholecystectomy registry. Arch Surg 1996;131:382-8.
-  Mathisen O, Soreide O, Bergan A. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: bile duct and vascular injuries: management and outcome. Scand J Gastroenterol 2002 37:476-81
-  Koffron A, Ferrario M, Parsons W, Nemcek A, Saker M, Abecassis M. Failed primary management of iatrogenicbiliary injury: incidence and significance of concomitant hepatic arterial disruption. Surgery 2001;130:722-28.
-  Mirza DF, Narsimhan KL, Ferraz Neto BH, Mayer AD, McMaster P, Buckels JA. Bile duct injury following laparoscopic cholecystectomy: referral pattern and management. Br J Surg 1997;84:786-90.
-  Parmeggiani D, Cimmino G, Cerbone D, Avenia N, Ruggero R, Gubitosi A, et al. Biliary tract injuries during laparoscopic cholecystectomy: three case reports and literature review. Chir 2010;31:16-9.
-  Ferrarese A , Enrico S, Solej M, Falcone A, Catalano S, Gibin E, et al. Transabdominal pre-peritoneal mesh in inguinal hernia repair in elderly: End point of our experience. BMC Surgery 2013;13 SUPPL 2:S24.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Ferrarese AG, Solej M, Enrico S, Falcone A, Catalano S, Pozzi G, et al. Elective and emergency laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the elderly: Our experience. BMC Surgery 2013;13 SUPPL.2:S21.[WoS]
-  Amato, B., Villa, F., Compagna, R., Persico, F.M.O., Persico, G.S: Organizational models in robotica assisted surgery. IJCI - International Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2002, 10 (1), pp. 45-48
-  Aprea, G., Canfora, A., Ferronetti, A., et al.: Morpho-functional gastric pre-and post-operative changes in elderly patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstone related disease. BMC SURGERY, 2012, 12 (Suppl 1): S5. (doi: 10.1186/1471-2482-12-S1-S5)[WoS][Crossref]
-  Rispoli C, Rocco N, Iannone L, Amato B : Developing guidelines in geriatric surgery: role of the grade system. BMC Geriatrics 2009, 9 ( SUPPL.1): A99[Crossref]
-  Amato, B., Sivero, L., Vigliotti, G., et al.: Surgery for cancer in the elderly: State of the art. Chirurgia (Turin), 2013. 26 (4): 313-315.
Publication order reference