The lateralizing and localizing value of peri-ictal cough in epileptic seizures
Languages of publication
Introduction. Coughing may be observed as an epiphenomenon during or after epileptic seizures.Aim. In this paper we discuss the lateralization and localization value of cough as an epileptic peri/post ictal semiological phenomenon.Material and Methods. Seven patients presenting cough as a part of their symptomatology are presented. We will discuss cough in the context of these seven patients.Results. Six out of these seven patients were multidrug resistant temporal lobe epilepsy patients, all were right handed. They were all examined for possible epilepsy surgery and four underwent surgery with complete seizure freedom. We do not have certain evidence for lateralization in one patient with hot water epilepsy though déjà vu as an initial symptom in this patient implies a temporal lobe onset. The seven other patients had temporal lobe epilepsy. Among the patients who had surgery, three had left sided and one had right sided temporal lobe surgery with consequent seizure freedom.Conclusion. Referring to the argument in the literature, with our small patient sample, we might conclude that cough has significant value in localizing seizures to the temporal lobe but overall these limited data do not suggest a lateralizing value.
1 - 12 - 2013
1 - 3 - 2015
17 - 12 - 2013
9 - 9 - 2013
- Baekey D.M., Morris K.F., Gestreau C., Li Z., Lindsey BG.,Shannon R.:Medullary respiratory neurones and control of laryngeal motoneurones during fictive eupnoea and cough in the cat. J. Physiol., 2001, 534: 565–581.
- Baumgartner C., Lurger S., Leutmezer F.:Autonomic symptoms during epileptic seizures. Epileptic Disord., 2001, 3: 103–116.
- Farrell M.J., Cole L.J., Chiapoco D., Egan G.F., Mazzone S.B.:Neural correlates coding stimulus level and perception of capsaicin-evoked urge-to-cough in humans. Neuroimage, 2012, 61: 1324–1335.[WoS]
- Fauser S., Wuwer Y., Gierschner C., Schulze-Bonhage A.:The localizing and lateralizing value of ictal/postictal coughing in patients with focal epilepsies. Seizure 2004, 3: 403–410.
- Gil-Nagel A. and Risinger M.W.:Ictal semiology in hippocampal versus extrahippocampal temporal lobe epiepsy.Brain, 1997, 120: 183–192.
- Hail H.J.A., Wieser H.G., Boulenour Mesraoua B.:Ictal wiping or rubbing movements of the nose and lower eye lid by hand ipsilateral to the hemispheric lesion: symptoms of the “insular ocular movements area”? Epileptologia, 2011, 19: 51–57.
- Janszky J., Fogarasi A., Toth V., Magalova V., Gyimesi C., Kovacs N. et al.:Peri-ictal vegetative symptoms in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behav., 2007, 11: 125–129.
- Martin C.B., Mirsattari S.M., Pruessner J.C., Pietrantonio S., Burneo J.G., Hayman-Albello B. et al.:Déjà vu in unilateral temporal-lobe epilepsy is associated wiht selective familiarty impairments on experimental task of recognition memory. Neuropychologia, 2012, 50: 2981–2991.
- Mazzone S.B., Cole L.J., Ando A., Egan G.F., Farrell M.J.:Investigation of the neural control of cough and cough suppression in humans using functional brain imaging. J. Neurosci., 2011, 31: 2948–2958.
- Mazzone S.B., McGovern A.E., Koo K., Farrell M.J.:Mapping supramedullary pathways involved in cough using functional brain imaging: comparison with pain. Pulm. Pharmacol., Ther., 2009, 22: 90–96.[WoS]
- Mazzone S.B., McGovern A.E., Yang S.K., Woo A., Phipps S., Ando A. et al.:Sensorimotor circuitry involved in the higher brain control of coughing. Cough, 2013, 9:7. doi: 10.1186/1745-9974-9-7. Avaible from [PubMed][Crossref]
- Musilova K., Kuba R., Brazdil M., Tyrlikova I., Rektor I.:Occurrence and lateralizing value of “rare” peri-ictal vegetative symptoms in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behav., 2010, 19: 372–375.[WoS]
- Peiffer C., Poline J.B., Thivard L., Aubier M., Samson Y.:Neural substrates for the perception of acutely induced dyspnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 951–957.
- Polverino M., Polverino F., Fasolino M., Andò F., Alfieri1 A., De Blasio F.:Anatomy and neuropathophysiology of the cough reflex arc. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine, 2012, 7: 5. doi: 10.1186/2049-6958-7-5. Avaible from [Crossref][WoS]
- Simonyan K., Saad Z.S., Loucks T.M., Poletto C.J., Ludlow C.L.:Functional neuroanatomy of human voluntary cough and sniff production. Neuroimage, 2007, 37: 401–409.[WoS]
- Stoyke C., Bilgin Ö., Noachtar S.:Video atlas of lateralising and localising seizure phenomena. Epileptic Disord., 2011, 13: 113–124.[WoS]
- Wennberg R.:Postictal coughing and noserubbing coexist in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology, 2001, 56: 133–134.
- Weinand M.E., Hermann B., Wyler A.R., Carter L.P., Oomen K.J., Labiner D. et al.:Long Term subdural strip electrocorocographic monitoring of ictal déjà vu. Epilepsia, 1994, 35: 1054–1059
Publication order reference