Proprioceptive Ability of Fencing and Table Tennis Practioners
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of the study was to compare the spatial component of proprioceptive ability by reproducing a upper limb movement typical in table tennis and fencing. Methods. The research comprised 41 young males of which 12 were table tennis players, 14 fencers, and 15 not involved in any competitive sports as a control. The experiment was based on assessing the precision of pronation and supination of the forearm at the elbow joint in recreating a set movement range by use of a goniometer. Results and conclusions. The results point to a higher level of proprioceptive ability in fencers and table tennis players than the control group but only in respect to the tasks executed with the dominant limb. This is inferred to be the result from the specific character of both sports (i.e. the intensive use of one limb and the consequent laterality of that limb) causing higher sensitivity and proprioception. This may provide a link between swordplay, table tennis, and the level of proprioception. The research methodology used herein may be useful in monitoring fencing training. Although not unequivocally statistically significant, the results indicate the potential for further research in this area.
1 - 9 - 2014
23 - 6 - 2014
3 - 4 - 2014
6 - 2 - 2015
- 1. Starosta W., The concept of modern training in sport Studies in Physical Culture & Tourism, 2006, 13 (2), 9-23.
- 2. Zatoń M., Błacha R., Jastrzębska A., Słonina K., Repeatability of pressure force during elbow flexion and extension before and after exercise. Hum Mov, 2009, 10 (2), 137-143, doi: 10.2478/v10038-009-0010-6.[Crossref]
- 3. Starosta W., Aniol-Strzyzewska K., Fostiak D., Jablonowska E., Krzesinski S., Pawlowa-Starosta T., Precision of kinesthetic sensation - element of diagnosis of performance of advanced competitors. Biol Sport, 1989, 6 (3), 265-271.
- 4. Lephart S.M., Giraldo J.L., Borsa P.A., Fu F.H., Knee joint proprioception: a comparison between female intercollegiate gymnasts and controls. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 1996, 4 (2), 121-124, doi: 10.1007/ BF01477265.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 5. Li J.X., Xu D.Q., Hoshizaki B., Proprioception of foot and ankle complex in young regular practitioners ofice hockey, ballet dancing and running. Res Sports Med, 2009, 17 (4), 205-216, doi: 10.1080/15438620903324353.[Crossref][WoS]
- 6. Ebahrawi M., The effect of kinesthetic perception exercises on distance and time start in crawl swimming. Ovidius University Annals, Series Physical Education & Sport/ Science, Movement & Health, 2014, 14 (1), 116-122.
- 7. Ji L., Huang B., A discussion on psychological characteristics of female basketball sharpshooters (Abstract). Sport Science/ Tiyu Kexue, 1987, 7 (2), 61-64.
- 8. Walaszek R., Nosal T., Assessment of the impact of oneyear training in acrobatic rock’n’roll on overall motor coordination in eight-year-old children. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity, 2014, 6 (2), 90-99, doi: 10.2478/bjha-2014-0009.[Crossref]
- 9. Bańkosz Z., Skarul A., Changes in the level of kinesthetic differentiation ability in table tennis players. Studies in Physical Culture & Tourism, 2010, 17 (1), 41-46.
- 10. Toussaint L., Blandin Y., Behavioral evidence for motor imagery ability on position sense improvement following motor imagery practice. Movement & Sport Sciences - Science & Motricit´e, 2013, 82, 63-68, doi: 10.1051/ sm/2013093.[Crossref]
- 11. Borysiuk Z., Complex evaluation of fencers predisposition in three stages of sport development. Biol Sport, 2006, 23 (1), 41-53.
- 12. Czajkowski Z., The essence and importance of sense of timing in fencing. Studies in Physical Culture & Tourism, 2009, 16 (3), 241-247.
- 13. Bańkosz Z., Accuracy of movement repeatability and sport level of table tennis players. In: Sadowski J., Niźnikowski T. (eds.), Coordination motor abilities in scientific research, AWF Warszawa, Biała Podlaska, 2008, 46-52.
- 14. Hotz A., Muster M., Table tennis: teaching and learning [in German]. Meyer & Meyer, Aachen 1993.
- 15. Starosta W., Felbur B., Structure and conditioning of “ball feeling” in the opinions of table tennis players and coaches. In: Sadowski J., Starosta W. (eds.), Movement Coordination in team sport games and martial arts. AWF, Warszawa 1998, 180-184.
- 16. Bańkosz Z., Błach W., Kinesthetic differentiation ability and playing precision in table tennis players [in Polish, abstract in English]. Medycyna Sportowa, 2007, 23 (2), 99-105.
- 17. Czajkowski Z., Understanding fencing. The unity of theory and practice. SKA SwordPlay Books, New York 2005.
- 18. Arman E., Gulbin R.N., Rana S.V., Joint position sense in Turkish professional ballet dancers. Journal of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, 2013, 7 (1), 61-68.
- 19. Cynarski W.J., Obodyński K., Litwiniuk A., The technical advancement and level of chosen coordination abilities of people practicing karate. In: Sadowski J. (ed.), Coordination motor abilities in scientific research. AWF, Warszawa, Biała Podlaska 2005, 428-433.
- 20. Buraczewski T., Cicirko L., Storto M., Correlation between the level of development of coordination motor abilities and a special skill in children at the beginner’s stage of football training. In: Sadowski J., Niźnikowski T. (eds.), Coordination motor abilities in scientific research. AWF, Warszawa, Biała Podlaska 2008, 66-71.
- 21. Rejman M., Klarowicz A., Zatoń K., An evaluation of kinesthetic differentiation ability in monofin swimmers.Hum Mov, 2012, 13 (1), 8-15, doi: 10.2478/v10038-011-0048-0.[Crossref]
- 22. Bańkosz Z., The kinesthetic differentiation ability of table tennis players. Hum Mov, 2012, 13 (1), 16-21, doi: 10.2478/ v10038-011-0049-z.[Crossref]
- 23. Jerosch J., Thorwesten L., Reuter M., Proprioceptive capabilities of the elbow joint in elite female table tennis players [in German]. Deutsche Zeitschrift für Sportmedizin, 1997, 48 (2), 43-44, 46-48.
- 24. Kollarovits Z., Teplicka S., Testing of sensorimotor abilities in table tennis and tennis [in Slovak, abstract in English]. Acta Facultatis Educationis Physicae Universitatis Comenianae, 1995, 37, 189-196.
- 25. Kollarovits Z., Teplicka S., Stability of kinesthetic differentiation abilities in the period of several months [in Slovak, abstract in English]. Telesna Vychova & Sport, 1999, 9 (1), 45-48.
Publication order reference