Spatial Distribution Of Lead, Zinc And Chromium In The Bottom Deposits Of Lake Sunia
ROZKŁAD PRZESTRZENNY OŁOWIU, CYNKU I CHROMU W OSADACH DENNYCH JEZIORA SUNIA
Languages of publication
Various elements are accumulated in bottom deposits in concentrations that significantly exceed the levels observed in lake water. Under certain conditions, this can lead to secondary contamination of water, posing threat to aquatic organisms. The aim of this study was to evaluate the spatial distribution of Pb, Zn and Cr pollutants in the bottom deposits of Lake Sunia. The investigated water body is situated in the Olsztyn Lakeland western part of the Masurian Lakeland), approximately 30 km north of the city of Olsztyn, in the municipality of Swiatki. The lake has a total area of 111.6 ha and a maximum depth of 8.8 m. The inflow to and the outflow from lake are situated in its south-western and north-western part, respectively. The lake features a bay which is separated from the main water body by a shallow zone. Its catchment area comprises mainly agricultural land. The total area of supply of lake is 450 ha of which inflow catchment area is 70 ha. Most of the catchment area is agricultural land (91%), and in particular arable land, the rest of the area (5%) are the barren, and trees (4%). the area of the lake is dominated by power-sandy loam soil in the passing sands and clay loam strong little sandy. In terms of particle size are a summary of the soil that is difficult permeable to water and nutrients. Taking into account the valuation of soil classification in the vast quantities of soil are included in the class IVa, IIIa and IIIb. The average content of organic matter in the lake was determined at 24%. Significant accumulation of organic matter results from intense inflow of biogenic substances from farmed areas in the catchment. The average concentrations of trace elements in the analyzed water body were arranged in the following series: Cr < Pb < Zn, and their ratios were determined at 8.1 < 22.9 < 45.2. Higher levels of heavy metals were observed the profundal zone, whereas lower concentrations of the analyzed elements were noted in littoral zone sediments.
1 - 6 - 2015
19 - 9 - 2015
- Department of Water Resources, Climatology and Environmental Management, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, pl. Łódzki 2, 10-756 Olsztyn, Poland, phone +48 89 523 43 51
- Department of Water Resources, Climatology and Environmental Management, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, pl. Łódzki 2, 10-756 Olsztyn, Poland, phone +48 89 523 43 51, email@example.com
-  Yuan X, Zhang L, Li J, Wang Ch, Ji J. Catena. 2014;119:52-60. DOI: 10.1016.j.catena.2014.03.008.
-  Macintosh KA, Griffiths DC. Environ Earth Sci. 2013;70(7):3023-3030. DOI: 10.1007/s12665-013-2363-6.[Crossref]
-  Lu Ch, Cheng J. Proc Eng. 2011;18:318-323. DOI: 10.1016/i.proeng.2011.11.050.[Crossref]
-  Skwierawski A, Sidoruk M. Ecol Chem Eng S. 2014;21(1):79-88. DOI: 10.2478/eces-2014-0007.[Crossref]
-  Szymczyk S, Grabińska B, Koc-Jurczyk J. Concentrations of Zn, Pb, Cd and Ni in the waters of the Narew River and some of its tributaries. J Elem. 2007;12(3):199-205.
-  Selvam AP, Priya SL, Banerjee K, Hariharan G, Purvaja R, Ramesh R. Environ Monit Asses. 2011;184(10):5899-5915. DOI: 10.1007/s10661-011-2389-8.[Crossref]
-  Nedjai R, Bguyen-Trung C, Messaoud-Nacer N. J Advan Chem Eng. 2011;1:1-10. DOI: 10.1303/jace/A110303.[Crossref]
-  Bojakowska I, Gliwicz T. Wyniki geochemicznych badań osadów wodnych Polski w latach 2000-2002. Biblioteka Monitoringu Środowiska. 2003;46-81.
-  ter Braak CJF, Šmilauer P. CANOCO Reference Manual and CanoDraw for Windows User's Guide: Software for Canonical Community Ordination (version 4.5). USA: Microcomputer Power. Ithaca NY; 2005.
-  Song Y, Ji J, Yang Z, Mao C, Frost RL, Ayoko GA. Catena. 2011;85(1):73-81. DOI: 10.1016/j.catena.2010.12.009.[Crossref]
-  Hou D, He J, Lu C, Ren L, Fan Q, Wang J, et al. Ecotox Environ Safety. 2013;93:135-144. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2013.03.012.[Crossref]
-  Lozba-Ştirbyleac RS, Giurma-Handley CR, Giurma I. Water quality characterization of the Prut River. EEMJ. 2011;10(3):411-419.
-  Sidoruk M, Rochwerger A, Skorbiłowicz E, Skorbiłowicz M. Effect of land use on lead and zinc accumulation in bottom sediments on the basis of Ardung and Bukwałd lakes. Ecol Chem Eng A. 2011;18(12):1633-1640. .
-  Glińska-Lewczuk K, Skwierawski A, Kobus S, Sidoruk M, Krzyzaniak M. Spatial distribution of heavy metals (Cr, Cu, Zn and Pb) in bottom sediments of a oxbow Lakes in Northern Poland differed by hydrological connectivity. Fres Environ Bull. 2009;18(7):1138-1148.
-  Wojtkowska M. Bull B Environ Contam Tox. 2013;90:65-169. DOI: 10.1007/s00128-012-0881-7.[Crossref]
-  Dung T, Cappuyns V, Swennen R, Phung NK. Rev Environ Sci Biotechnol. 2013;2:335-353. DOI: 10.1007/s11157-013-9315-1.[Crossref]
-  Nicholson FA, Smith SR, Alloway BJ, Carlton-Smith C, Chambers BJ. An inventory of heavy metals inputs to agricultural soils in England and Wales. Sci Total Environ. 2003;311:205-219.
-  Glińska-Lewczuk K, Bieniek A, Sowiński P, Obolewski K, Burnadt P, Timofte C. J Elemen. 2014;2:361-376. DOI: 10.5601/jelem.2014.19.1.618.[Crossref]
-  Bojakowska I., Sokołowska G. Geochemiczne klasy czystości osadów wodnych. Przegląd Geolog. 1998;46:49-54.
-  Szalińska E, Grgciak-Mannion A, Haffner D, Droullard KG. Chemosphere. 2013;93:1773-1781. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.06.009.[Crossref]
Publication order reference