Briquetting of EAF Dust for its Utilisation in Metallurgical Processes
Languages of publication
Dust generated at an electric arc furnace during steel production industry is still not a solved problem. Electric arc furnace dust (EAF) is a hazardous solid waste. Sintering of well-prepared briquetted mixtures in a shaft furnace is one of possible methods of EAFD utilisation. Simultaneously some metal oxides from exhaust gases can be separated. In this way, various metals are obtained, particularly zinc is recovered. As a result, zinc-free briquettes are received with high iron content which can be used in the steelmaking process. The purpose of the research was selecting the appropriate chemical composition of briquettes of the required strength and coke content necessary for the reduction of zinc oxide in a shaft furnace. Based on the results of the research the composition of the briquettes was selected. The best binder hydrated lime and sugar molasses and the range of proper moisture of mixture to receive briquettes of high mechanical strength were also chosen and tested. Additionally, in order to determine the thermal stability for the selected mixtures for briquetting thermal analysis was performed. A technological line of briquetting was developed to apply in a steelworks.
1 - 6 - 2015
12 - 9 - 2014
17 - 7 - 2015
22 - 6 - 2015
22 - 6 - 2015
- Ballajee S.R., Callaway P.E., Keilman L.M., Lohman L.J., 1995. Production and BOF recycling of waste oxide briquettes at Inland Steel. Proceedings of 78th Steelmaking Conference. Nashville, TN US, 2-5 April 1995, 51-66.
- Dukelow D.A., Werner J.P., Smith N.H., 1995. Use of waste oxides in the Great Lakes BOP. Proceedings of 78th Steelmaking Conference. Nashville, TN US, 2-5 April 1995, 67-72.
- Guezennec A-G., Huber J-C., Patisson F., Sessiecq P., Birat J-P., Ablitzer D., 2005. Dust formation in Electric Arc Furnace: Birth of the particles. Powder Technolog., 157, 2-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2005.05.006.
- Harrison F.W., Dunlop G.A., Bonham T.J., 1995. Recycling dusts and sludges in the BOF. Proceedings of 78th Steelmaking Conference. Nashville, TN US, 2-5 April 1995, 47-50.
- Havlık T., Vidor E., Souza B., Bernardes A.M., Homrich Schneider I.A., Miskufova A., 2006.
- Hydrometallurgical processing of carbon steel EAF dust. J. Hazard. Mater., 135, 311-318. DOI 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.11.067.
- Hryniewicz M., Janewicz A., 2008. Research into the possibility of basic oxygen furnace consolidation in a roll press. Polish J.Environ. Stud., 17, 235-239.
- Magdziarz A., Wilk M., Kosturkiewicz B., 2011. Investigation of sewage sludge preparation for combustion process. Chem. Process Eng., 32, 299-309. DOI: 10.2478/v10176-011-0024-4.
- Jha M.K., Kumar V., Singh R.J., 2001. Review of hydrometallurgical recovery of zinc from industrial wastes. Resour. Conserv. Recycl., 33, 1-22. DOI: 10.1016/S0921-3449(00)00095-1.
- Joulazadeh M., Joulazadeh F., 2010. Slag; value added steel industry byproducts. Arch. Metall. Mater., 55, 1137-1145. DOI: 10.2478/v10172-010-0017-1.
- Jursová S., 2010. Metallurgical waste and possibilities of its processing. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, Metal 2010. Ostrava, Czech Republic, 115-120.
- Leclerc N., Meux E., Lecuire J-M. 2003. Hydrometallurgical extraction of zinc from zinc ferrites. Hydrometallurgy, 70, 175-183. DOI: 10.1016/S0304-386X(03)00079-3.
- Leclerc N., Meux E., Lecuire J-M., 2002. Hydrometallurgical recovery of zinc and lead from electric arc furnace dust using mononitrilotriacetate anion and hexahydrated ferric chloride. J. Hazard. Mater., 91, 257-270. DOI: 10.1016/S0304-3894(01)00394-6.
- Machado J., Brehm F.A., Mendes Moraes C.A., Dos Santos, C.A., Faria Vilela A.C., Marimon da Cunha J.B., 2006. Chemical, physical, structural and morphological characterization of the electric arc furnace dust. J. Hazard. Mater., 136, 953-960. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.01.044.
- Menad N., Ayala J.N., Garcia-Carcedo F., Ruiz-Ayucar E., Hernandez A., 2003. Study of the presence of fluorine in the recycled fractions during carbothermal treatment of EAF dust. Waste Manage., 23, 483-491. DOI: 10.1016/S0956-053X(02)00151-4.
- Mihok L., Baricova D., 2003. Recycling of oxygen converter flue dust into oxygen converter charge. Metalurgija, 42, 271-275.
- Rees M., 1999. The briquetting approach currently used to recycle BOS plant sludges at British Steel, Port Talbot. The Coke Oven Managers Association Year Book, 203-211.
- Shawabkeh R. A., 2010. Hydrometallurgical extraction of zinc from Jordanian electric arc furnace dust. Hydrometallurgy. 104, 61-65. DOI: 10.1016/j.hydromet.2010.04.014.
- Szumiec L., Klimek A., Woźniacki Z., Pasierb J., Kenig R., Chlewiński W., Bobkiewicz S., Pichór J., 2007. Set of systems for processing fine-grained metallurgical waste. Application P-377153.
- Youcai Z., Stanforth R., 2000. Integrated hydrometallurgical process for production of zinc from electric arc furnace dust in alkaline medium. J. Hazard. Mater., 80, 223-240. DOI: 10.1016/S0304-3894(00)00305-8.
Publication order reference