Biofortification of maize grains with micronutrients by enriched biomass of blackcurrant seeds
Languages of publication
Effect of the application of blackcurrant seed post-extraction residues (BS) enriched via biosorption with Zn(II), Mn(II) and Cu(II) was examined in field tests on maize. As a nominal dose (100%), 2.5 kg of zinc, 1 kg of manganese and 0.5 kg of copper per hectare, were applied. The preparation was applied, also, in higher doses (150%, 200%). Crop yield and quality were assessed and multielemental analysis of grains was conducted. Grain yield obtained for maize treated with different doses of micronutrients (7.3 and 7.2 Mg ha-1 for BS 100% and BS 200%, respectively) was higher than in control group (6.2 Mg ha-1) and similar to a commercial reference product (7.1 Mg ha-1). Bioavailability of micronutrients from BS was shown to be higher than from reference commercial fertilizer. The highest content of micronutrients delivered to plants was observed for groups fertilized with BS in nominal dose of micronutrients (1.79, 7.08 and 28.55 mg kg-1 for Cu, Mn and Zn, respectively). The content of each micronutrient was 5.6% (Cu) 12.1% (Mn) and 12.6% (Zn) higher than in untreated group and 8.9% (Cu) 9.7% (Mn) and 8.7% (Zn) higher than commercial reference micronutrient fertilizer. New biocomponents are cheap and biodegradable carriers of nutrients which can be released in controlled way.
19 - 10 - 2015
20 - 1 - 2015
4 - 8 - 2015
-  Salem H., El-Gizawy N., Importance of micronutrients and its application methods for improving maize (Zea mays L.) yield grown in clayey soil, Am. Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci., 2012, 2, 954-959.
-  Ortiz-Monasterio J. I., Palacios-Rojas N., Meng E., Pixley K., Trethowan R., Pena R. J., Enhancing the mineral and vitamin content of wheat and maize through plant breeding, J. Cereal Sci. 2007, 46, 293-307.[WoS]
-  Cakmak I., Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: agronomic or genetic biofortification? Plant Soil, 2008, 302, 1-17.[WoS]
-  Shi R., Zhang Y., Chen X., Sun Q., Zhang F., Römheld V., Zou C., Influence of long-term nitrogen fertilization on micronutrient density in grain of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.), J. Cereal Sci., 2010, 51, 165-170.[WoS]
-  Hossain M. A., Jahiruddin M., Islam M. R., Mian M. H., The requirement of zinc for improvement of crop yield and mineral nutrition in the maize-mungbean-rice system , Plant Soil, 2008, 306, 13-22.0[WoS]
-  Harris D., Rashid A., Miraj G., Arif M., Shah H., ‘On-farm’seed priming with zinc sulphate solution - A cost-effective way to increase the maize yields of resource-poor farmers , Field Crop Res., 2007, 102, 119-127.[WoS]
-  Velu G., Ortiz-Monasterio I., Cakmak I., Hao Y., Singh R. P., Biofortification strategies to increase grain zinc and iron concentrations in wheat, J. Cereal Sci., 2014, 59, 365-372.[WoS]
-  Hussain S., Maqsood M. A., Rengel Z., Aziz T., Biofortification and estimated human bioavailability of zinc in wheat grains as influenced by methods of zinc application, Plant Soil, 2012, 361, 279-290.[WoS]
-  Murakami T., Nishikiori T., Nohira T., Ito Y., Electrolytic synthesis of ammonia in molten salts under atmospheric pressure, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2003, 125, 334-335.
-  Jie M., Raza W., Xu Y. C., Shen Q. R., Preparation and optimization of amino acid chelated micronutrient fertilizer by hydrolyzation of chicken waste feathers and the effects on growth of rice, J. Plant Nutr., 2008, 31, 571-582.[WoS]
-  Zhong W., Gu T., Wang W., Zhang B., Lin X., Huang Q., Shen W., The effects of mineral fertilizer and organic manure on soil microbial community and diversity, Plant Soil, 2010, 326, 511-522.[WoS]
-  Chojnacka K., Biosorption and bioaccumulation-the prospects for practical applications, Environ. Int., 2010, 36, 299-307.[WoS]
-  Pennesi C., Totti C., Beolchini F., Removal of Vanadium (III) and Molybdenum (V) from Wastewater Using Posidonia oceanica (Tracheophyta) Biomass, Plos One, 2013, 8, 1-11.
-  Sulaymon A., Ebrahim S., Mohammed-Ridha M., Equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic biosorption of Pb (II), Cr (III), and Cd (II) ions by dead anaerobic biomass from synthetic wastewater, Environ. Sci. Pol. Res., 2013, 20, 175-187.[Crossref]
-  Kostić M., Radović M., Mitrović J., Antonijević M., Bojić D., Petrović M., Bojić A., Using xanthated Lagenaria vulgaris shell biosorbent for removal of Pb (II) ions from wastewater, J. Iran Chem. Soc., 2014, 11, 565-578.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Saeid A., Chojnacka K., Korczyński M., Korniewicz D., Dobrzański Z., Biomass of Spirulina maxima enriched by biosorption process as a new feed supplement for swine, J. Appl. Phycol., 2012, 25, 667-675.[WoS][Crossref]
-  Witkowska Z., Chojnacka K., Korczyński M., Świniarska M., Saeid A., Opaliński S., Dobrzański Z., Soybean meal enriched with microelements by biosorption-A new biological feed supplement for laying hens. Part I. Performance and egg traits, Food Chem., 2014, 151, 86-92.[WoS]
-  Michalak I., Tuhy Ł., Saeid A., Chojnacka K., Bioavailability of Zn (II) to Plants from new Fertilizer Components Produced by Biosorption, Int. J. Agron. Plant Prod., 2013, 4, 3522-3536.
-  Witkowska Z.., Chojnacka K., Michalak I., Application of Biosorption in the Production of Innovative Feed Supplements: A Novel Method, Ads. Sci. Technol., 2013, 31, 421-432.
-  Danaher R. J., Wang C., Dai J., Mumper R. J., Miller C. S., Antiviral effects of blackberry extract against herpes simplex virus type 1, Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 2011, 112, 31-35.
-  Costa A. G. V., Garcia-Diaz D. F., Jimenez P., Silva P. I., Bioactive compounds and health benefits of exotic tropical red-black berries, J. Funct. Foods., 2013, 5, 539-549.[WoS]
-  Chojnacka K., The application of multielemental analysis in the elaboration of technology of mineral feed additives based on Lemna minor biomass, Talanta, 2006, 70, 966-972.
-  Polish Journal of Laws ,2008, no. 119, pos. 765.
-  Tuhy L., Samoraj M., Chojnacka K., Evaluation of nutrients bioavailability from fertilizers in in vivo tests, Int. J. Eng. Sci. 2013, 1, 10-13.
-  Bameri M., Abdolshahi R., Mohammadi-Nejad G., Yousefi K., Tabatabaie S. M., Effect of different microelement treatment on wheat (Triticum aestivum) growth and yield, Int. Res. J. Applied Basic Sci., 2012, 3, 219-223.
-  Rahman I. U., Afzal A., Iqbal Z., Manan S., Foliar Application of Plant Mineral Nutrients on Wheat: A Review, J. Agric. Appl. Sci., 2014, 3, 19-22.
-  Pagani A., Echeverría H. E., Andrade F. H., Sainz Rozas H. R., Effects of nitrogen and sulfur application on grain yield, nutrient accumulation, and harvest indexes in maize, J. Plant Nutr., 2012, 35, 1080-1097.[WoS]
-  Lungu O.I., Simunji S., Cakmak I., Effects of Soil and Foliar Applications of Zinc on Grain Zinc Concentrations of Maize, Sorghum and Wheat in Zambia, INTSORMIL Scientific Publications. 2011, 43.
-  Manzeke G. M., Mtambanengwe F., Nezomba H., Mapfumo P., Zinc fertilization influence on maizeproductivity and grain nutritional quality under integrated soil fertility management in Zimbabwe, Field Crops Res., 2014, DOI:10.1016/j.fcr.2014.05.019.[Crossref]
-  Zhang Y., Pang L., Yan P., Liu D., Zhang W., Yost R., Zhang F., Zou C., Zinc fertilizer placement affects zinc content in maize plant, Plant Soil, 2013, 372, 81-92.[WoS]
-  Ortas I., Lal R., Long-term fertilization effect on agronomic yield and soil organic carbon under semi-arid Mediterranean region, Am. J. Exp. Agric., 2014, 4, 1086-1102. [Crossref]
Publication order reference