Simultaneous determination of 223 pesticides in tobacco by GC with simultaneous electron capture and nitrogen-phosphorous detection and mass spectrometric confirmation
Languages of publication
LSE (liquid-solid extraction), MSPD (matrix solid phase dispersion) and QuEChERS (quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged and safe) extractions followed by GC-μECD/NPD to determine 223 pesticide residues in tobacco simultaneously were developed and compared. The identities of ten model pesticides were confirmed by GC-MS/MS. The type and amount of dispersant (Florisil, silica gel and alumina), sample mass, cleanup adsorbent, and the eluent (hexane, acetone and acetonitrile) were optimized. Linearity, recovery, LOQ, LOD, and matrix effect were compared. Most recoveries were 71−120% (RSD < 18%). LOD and LOQ were much lower than the CORESTA GRLs. The best method was QuEChERS: acetonitrile extraction and dispersive solid-phase extraction using primary-secondary amine and graphitized carbon.
11 - 12 - 2014
8 - 7 - 2015
9 - 9 - 2015
-  Gupta A., Impact of Pesticides on Human and Ecosystem Health: Scientific, Ethical and Policy Issues, Proceedings of National Seminar on toxicity of Chemicals and their Hazards with Special Reference to heavy Metals (St. Edmund’s College, Shillong), 2008, 61-72.
-  Ghelli J., Helio A., Martins-Jumor S.P., Andre S., Development of a fast and cost effective multi-residue method to determine pesticides in tobacco by LC/MS/MS, Technical note, 2009.
-  Clapp W.L., Shelar G.R., The determination of chlorinated pesticides in mainstream smoke, 1972, http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/cdv69d00.
-  Clark T., Kaußmann E., Römer E., Scheper, G. The fate of imidacloprid in tobacco smoke of cigarettes made from imidacloprid-treated tobacco, Pestic. Sci., 1998, 52, 119-125.
-  Cooperation Centre for Scientific Research Relative to Tobacco, Guide No. 1: The Concept and Implementation of Agrochemical Guidance Residue Levels, 2008, http://www.coresta.org.
-  Łozowicka B., Piotr Kaczynski P., Paritova A., Sarsembayeva N., Kuzembekova G., Abzhalieva A., Alihan K., Pesticide residues in grain from Kazakhstan and potential health risk associated with the exposures to detected pesticides, Food Chem. Toxicol. 2014, 64, 238-248.
-  Łozowicka B., Jankowska M., Rutkowska E. , Hrynko I., Kaczyński P., Miciński J., The evaluation of a fast and simple pesticide multiresidue method in various herbs by gas chromatography, J. Nat. Med., 2014, 68, 95-111.
-  Wang X., Xu G., Wang F., Sun H., Li Y., Iprodione Residues and Dissipation Rates in Tobacco Leaves and Soil, Bull Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 2012, 89, 877-881.[WoS]
-  Łozowicka B., Jankowska M., Rutkowska E., Hrynko I., Kaczyński P., Metoda oznaczania pozostałości środków ochrony roślin w tytoniu, Determination method of pesticide residues in tobacco, Prog. Plant Prot./Post. Ochr. Roślin, 2011, 51, 721-726, (in Polish).
-  Lee J.M., Park J.W., Jang G.Ch., Hwang K.J., Comparative study of pesticide multi-residue extraction in tobacco for gas chromatography-triple quadrupole mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. A, 2008, 1187, 25-33.[WoS]
-  Haib J., Hofer I., Renaud J.M., Analysis of multiple pesticide residues in tobacco using pressurized liquid extraction, automated solid-phase extraction clean-up and gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. A, 2003, 1020, 173-187.
-  Lee J.M., Jang G.Ch., Hwang K.J., Analysis of agrochemical residues in tobacco using QuECheRS method by GC-MS/MS, J. Korean Soc. Tob. Sci., 2007, 29, 132-139.
-  Zhou T., Xiao X., Li G., Hybrid Field-Assisted Solid–Liquid–Solid Dispersive Extraction for the Determination of Organochlorine Pesticides in Tobacco with Gas Chromatography, Anal. Chem., 2012, 84, 420-427.[WoS]
-  Liao Q.G., Zhou Y.M., Lu L.G., Wang L.B., Feng X.H., Determination of twelve herbicides in tobacco by a combination of solid-liquid-solid dispersive extraction using multi-walled carbon nanotubes, dispersive liquid-liquid micro-extraction, and detection by GC with triple quadrupole mass spectrometry, Microchim Acta, 2014, 181, 163-169.[WoS]
-  Zhang L., Liu S., Cui X., Pan C., Zhang A., Chen F., A review of sample preparation methods for the pesticide residue analysis in foods, Cent. Eur. J. Chem., 2012, 10, 900-925.
-  Cai J., Gao Y., Zhu X., Su Q., Matrix solid phase dispersion-Soxhlet simultaneous extraction clean-up for determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in tobacco, Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 2005, 383, 869-874.
-  Chen X., Zhao K., Ge B., Chen Q., Simultaneous Determination of 44 Pesticides in Tobacco by UPLC/MS/MS and a Modified QuEChERS Procedure, J. AOAC Int., 2013, 96, 422-431.[WoS]
-  Li M., Jin Y., Li H.F., Hashi Y., Ma Y., Lin J.M., Rapid determination of residual pesticides in tobacco by the quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe sample pretreatment method coupled with LC-MS, J. Sep. Sci., 2013, 36, 2522-2529.[WoS]
-  Khana Z.S., Ghoshb R.K., Giramea R., Utturea S.C., Gadgila M., Banerjeea K., et al., Optimization of a sample preparation method for multiresidue analysis of pesticides in tobacco by single and multi-dimensional gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. A, 2014, 1343, 200-206.[WoS]
-  PPDB, Pesticide Properties DataBase, University of Hertfordshire, http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/footprint/en.
-  EURACHEM Guide, The Fitness for Purpose of Analytical Methods, A laboratory Guide to Method Validation and Related Topics, 1998, 24-27.
-  European Commission Method Validation and Quality Control Procedures for Pesticide Residues Analysis in food and feed, Document N° SANCO/12495/2011, Brussels, 1 January 2012.
-  Commission Decision (2002/657/EC) of 12 August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results, Off. J. Eur. Comm., L221/8, 17 August 2002.
-  Luke M.A., Froberg J.E., Masumoto H.T., Extraction and Cleanup of Organochlorine, Organophosphate, Organonitrogen, Hydrocarbon Pesticides in Produce for Determination by Gas-Liquid Chromatography, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., 1975, 58, 1020-1026.
-  Luke M.A., Froberg J.E., Dosse G.M., Masumoto H.T., Improved Multiresidue Gas Chromatographic Determination of Organophosphorus, Organonitrogen and Organohalogen Pesticides in Produce, Using Flame Photometric and Electrolytic Conductivity Detectors, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., 1981, 64, 1187-1195.
-  Zweig G., New and updated methods, Academic Press. Inc., London, UK, 1978.
-  Kadenczki L., Arpad Z., Gardi I., Ambrus A., Gyorfi L., Reese G., Column extraction of residues of several pesticides from fruits and vegetables. A simple multiresidue analysis method, J. Assoc. Off. Ana. Chem., 1992, 75, 53-61.
-  Anastassiades M., Lehotay S.J., Stajnbaher D., Schenck F.J., Fast and easy multiresidue method employing acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and “dispersive solid-phase extraction” for the determination of pesticide residues in produce, J. AOAC Int., 2003, 86, 412-431.
-  Ferrer C., Lozano A., Agüera A., Jiménez A., Fernández A.R., Overcoming matrix effects using the dilution approach in multiresidue methods for fruits and vegetables, J. Chromatogr. A, 2011, 1218, 7634-7639.[WoS]
-  Anastassiades M., Maštovská K., Lehotay S.J., Evaluation of analyte protectants to improve gas chromatographic analysis of pesticides, J. Chromatogr. A, 2003, 1015, 163-184.
-  Cochran J., Evaluation of comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the determination of pesticides in tobacco, J. Chromatogr. A, 2008, 1186, 202-210.[WoS]
-  Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Online database on plant protection products, http://www.minrol.gov.pl/eng/Ministry/Online-database-on-plant-protection products.
Publication order reference