Struvite recovery from solution containing phosphate(V) and sulphate(VI) ions
Languages of publication
The research results concerning the application of magnesium and ammonium ions for continuous removal of phosphate(V) ions from solution containing 1.0 or 0.20 mass% of PO43– and from 0.10 to 0.50 mass% of SO42– are presented. A continuous struvite MgNH4PO4 × 6H2O reaction crystallization process was carried out both under stoichiometric conditions and using 20% excess of magnesium ions. The research was conducted in a DT MSMPR type crystallizer with internal circulation of suspension driven by a propeller stirrer, in constant temperature 298 K. The pH varied from 9 to 11 and mean residence time of suspension in a crystallizer τ varied from 900 to 3600 s. It was concluded, that sulphate(VI) ions influenced product quality disadvantageously. Depending on process parameter combinations struvite crystals of mean size from ca. 18 to ca. 44 μm and of moderate homogeneity: CV 7–95% were produced. Presence of sulphate(VI) ions favored crystallization of struvite as prismatic crystals, but tubular forms were also identified. The best shaped struvite crystals were produced at relatively low concentration of sulphate(VI) ions, pH 9 and for mean residence time of suspension in a crystallizer elongated up to 3600 s.
15 - 5 - 2015
29 - 1 - 2015
6 - 7 - 2015
-  Doyle J.D., Parsons S.A., Struvite formation, control and recovery, Wat. Res., 2002, 36, 3925-3940.[Crossref]
-  Parsons S.A., Recent scientific and technical developments: struvite precipitation, CEEP Scope Newslett., 2001, 41, 15-22.
-  Le Corre K.S., Valsami-Jones E., Hobbs P., Parsons S.A., Phosphorus recovery from wastewater by struvite crystallization: a review, Crit. Rev. Environ. Sci. Technol., 2009, 39, 433-477.[WoS][Crossref]
-  Rahman M.M., Salleh M.A.M., Rashid U., Ahsan A.,Hossain M.M., Ra C.S., Production of slow release crystal fertilizer from wastewaters through struvite crystallization –A review, Arabian J. Chem., 2014, 7, 139-155.[WoS]
-  Le Corre K.S., Valsami-Jones E., Hobbs P., Parsons S.A., Impact of reactor operation on success of struvite precipitation from synthetic liquors, Environ. Technol., 2007, 28, 1245-1256.[WoS][Crossref]
-  Mazienczuk A., Hutnik N., Piotrowski K., Wierzbowska B., Matynia A., Continuous crystallizers with jet pump driven by recirculated mother solution in production of struvite, Przem. Chem., 2012, 91, 890-895 (in Polish).
-  Hutnik N., Wierzbowska B., Matynia A., Effect of inorganic impurities on quality of struvite in continuous reaction crystallization at the excess of magnesium ions, Przem. Chem., 2012, 91, 762-766 (in Polish).
-  Le Corre K.S., Valsami-Jones E., Hobbs P., Parsons S.A., Impact of calcium on struvite crystal size, shape and purity, J. Cryst. Growth, 2005, 283, 514-522.
-  Hutnik N., Piotrowski K., Wierzbowska B., Matynia A., Continuous reaction crystallization of struvite from phosphate(V) solutions containing calcium ions, Cryst. Res. Technol., 2011, 46, 443-449.[WoS][Crossref]
-  Hutnik N., Kozik A., Mazienczuk A., Piotrowski K.,Wierzbowska B., Matynia A., Phosphates(V) recovery from phosphorus mineral fertilizers industry wastewater by continuous struvite reaction crystallization process, Wat. Res., 2013, 47 , 3635-3643.[Crossref]
-  Kozik A., Hutnik N., Podworny J., Gerle A., Mazienczuk A., Matynia A., Phosphate(V) ions recovery from synthetic swine wastewater under stoichiometric conditions, Przem. Chem., 2014, 93, 559-564 (in Polish).
-  Latifian M., Liu J., Mattiasson B., Struvite-based fertilizer and its physical and chemical properties, Environ. Technol., 2012, 33, 2691-2697.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Becker P., Phosphates and phosphoric acid, raw materials, technology and economics of the wet process, New York: Marcel Dekker, 1999.
-  Hutnik N., Piotrowski K., Wierzbowska B, Matynia A., Influence of sulphate(VI) and nitrate(V) ions on the quality of struvite crystals in a continuous reaction crystallization process for removing phosphates from diluted water solutions, Progr. Environ. Sci. Technol., 2009, 2, 1044-1049.
-  Ohlinger K.N., Young T.M., Schroeder E.D., Predicting struvite formation in digestion, Wat. Res., 1998, 32, 3607-3614.[Crossref]
-  Snoeyink V.L., Jenkins D., Water Chemistry, 1st ed., Wiley,New York, 1980.
-  Le Corre K.S., Valsami-Jones E., Hobbs P., Parsons S.A., Kinetics of struvite precipitation: effect of magnesium dose on induction times and precipitation rates, Environ. Technol., 2007, 28, 1317-1324.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Mersmann A. (Ed.), Crystallization Technology Handbook,1st ed., M. Dekker, Inc., New York, 1995.
-  Mullin J.W., Crystallization, 3rd ed., Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1993.
-  Kozik A., Hutnik N., Piotrowski K., Matynia A., Continuous reaction crystallization of struvite from diluted aqueous solution of phosphate(V) ions in the presence of magnesium ions excess, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 2014, 92, 481-490. [Crossref][WoS]
Publication order reference